2017 60 years of scalextric

Blagard

This info on the advent calendar just made me realise I must have had one of the earliest sets! by 2017 I will have had a scalextric for around 60 years, my first being with the rubber type track a BRM and a Cooper. After much use I sent the cars into scalextric (with the help of Mum and Dad!) for a service as they were getting well worn. I asked for one to have a new shark nose ferrari body and when the cars came back I had two new cars. I then looked for the bill (I was told it would cost me to get them done), all I could find was a compliments slip!

OK so today I don't think you would be that lucky but back then I was really chuffed and in time swapped my track to classic and further in time to sport digital.. I miss the BRM (Hint) it was a lot like the classic Vanwall now done and was great to hang the tail out around the bends!

I do hope the scalextric survives with the leaps and bounds of technology taking over so much "traditional" toys and games. It is still popular if you get it out with friends around, although for a period the PC motor racing took over it is not a very social! While I will never sell mine I do have to thin it out a little as I did a bit  of collecting at one time all one type of car!

So good luck Scalextric.

I can only echo your statements Blagard.

I have only beein back in slot racing for just over 3 years and only about 2 of those as a Scalextric enthusiast.

The more I learn about the brand the more I see how well it is engineered and in many ways unique.

I do my best to keep interest alive and promoting the hobby as a whole.

I also personally want to thank you for your input on the Digital forum as I am currently analog only and apart from some rudimentary electrical knowledge I can't add much.I hope we can all agree that this hobby and this brand should continue for generations!

I can only agree with the two comments above.  I have had a set for over 47 years, though interest had been on and off depending upon what life had brought.  Been really fortunate to have the space to build a big shed and fix a permanent track - running digital through the advanced powerbase.

I have had various nephews nieces and in-laws using it, plus neighbours and, I am pleased to say, all the youger members have bought tracks of their own to wreck, instead of vandalising mine! Sorry, that should say -   enjoying their own tracks and using them well....

It is the digital system, with all the lane changing, pit stops and pace cars that has them hooked - even the youngest at the advanced age of 8 said that it is much better than his computamabob in to which, he normally has his nose fixed and eyes glued.  He now has his own set, having matured to the age of 10, which was fortunate for him after he nearly wrecked Jim Clarks Lotus 49!

SO, I think there wil lbe a good future, but, come on Scalextric, let's have something official to at least match SSDC.....PLEASE!

Archived