Closure of concessions.

Towler

Just went into my local toy/model shop in Andover today to pick up some Humbrol paint and Liquid poly and was met with a model department without any Hornby products of any sort. The sales assistant told me that Hornby had withdrawn their concession and this had had a major impact on their sales. The only items he could offer me were from the Revell range. There is nowhere that I can now get to for things like paint etc and what is more they cannot be sent by post so the cost has more than tripled for a small tinlet. What are Hornby thinking of. The Hornby stockist closest to me has very little Hornby stock and so cannot be used on a drop in basis.

What is even more galling is that the hornby website list of stockists has not been updated so still shows the Andover shop. 

All concessions are closed but that isn't such a bad thing. My nearest sells not only Hornby but other makes as well. There is nothing to stop your shop selling Hornby it just won't be sale or return any more. They'll have to buy stuff from Hornby to sell. Acrylic paint can be bought on line. Many toy shops sell paint including Gamemaster.

I think Hornby were right to do this. Concessions had it easy, they could have huge stocks and not have to worry about not selling it. 

Still very bleak where I live. A local art shop has started to sell Humbrol paints (but no aerosols) and it is just the basic range so no railway colours. The department store which had the concession has not started selling Hornby independently and the Revel range has contracted considerably.

Thankfully I've got all the stock I need though WW1 running is a bit light and there are a few things I'd still like which are on pre-order. Though as these are from other manufacturers the closure of the concession has not made a difference with those.

My idea of adding a post nationalization period are virtually abandonned. Although the latter will probably get me focused on getting the layout fully operational with the 009 finally reaching it's mainline interchange.

Archived