what colour primer with humbrol 30 dark green spray?

!? Why on earth are you using H30 as a loco green?

Its a war department loco, so it would be that dark green.

Ah. I think some of them may have been silk black as well.

Also, I think it may be a thread on the Airfix Tribute Forums, but my experience is that H30 is a quite transluscent shade, so if you want it to "LOOK GREEN" maybe you need a green undercoat?

Also, I think it may be a thread on the Airfix Tribute Forums, but my experience is that H30 is a quite transluscent shade, so if you want it to "LOOK GREEN" maybe you need a green undercoat?

I tried with a green undercoat and it came out the same green with the black undercoat.

I tried with a green undercoat and it came out the same green with the black undercoat.

See various discussions about Humbrol quality control then. Also H30 may not be an accurate UK WW2 green any more.

See various discussions about Humbrol quality control then. Also H30 may not be an accurate UK WW2 green any more.

Depends which WW2 green you're talking about though?  Although I thought H30 - which had gradually drifted away from being a match for for RAF Dark Green (later BS381c 641 Dark Green) - had been reformulated to match Dark Green, a recent tin of it I used still looked a bit too light and a bit too blue to be 'Dark Green'.  However, that's an aircraft colour and I can't believe it would have been used on a locomotive (or indeed, any ground vehicle).  Humbrol 30 looks more convincing for either Middle Bronze Green or Khaki Green, which were both used by the Army on their vehicles in the early war period,so entirely plausible that they would have been used on the War Department locomotives.  It is difficult to find any definitive painting guides for War Department locos, I know - which is why I have an N gauge loco in plain black, awaiting decals...

Archived