Help with controlling loco on Tablet

Hi Guys,

I seem to be having a problem with my tablet, I haven't used it for a while but I have got it all going and working fine. After using it a few time all working, I now have a problem. All the controls for the points work plus all the loco lights and sounds function work on the tablet but when I set the loco into shunt or cruise nothing happens, It changes the dislpay on my computer loco control so it shows it as communicated with it.  If I set the loco going with my computer I can stop the loco with the control on the tablet. I have tried removing and reinstating the table but still the same problem.

Any ideas welcome and thank you in advance.

Peter

I assume the Tablet is a Slave to a Master PC/Laptop. The February 2017 RailMaster 1.65.1 release had a minor issue that affects master/slave working. Whether that issue is something that would affect your current issue, it is hard to say. Anyway, the RailMaster 1.65.1 release was further updated on 21st March 2017 where the master/slave issue was fixed.

I suggest, at least as an initial starting point, that you download this latest 21st March RM version from the link at the top of the forum RM section and over-install both your Master PC/Laptop AND your Tablet RM versions, then test again to see if your issue is also fixed.

The faulty RM 1.65.1 version can easily be identified. Look at the version number displayed in the bottom right corner of the main RM screen near the clock. If the rectangular box states 1.65.1 then you have the earlier version installed. If the box says 1.65 and shows "version 1" in the pop-up box when you hover the mouse cursor over it, then you have the latest 21st March version installed.

Hi Chrissaf,

It is showing 1.65 and when I hover over it it says revision 0 so it looks like I am up to date, but now I come to think about it it was working fine maybe before the update but I have not done the update it as done it its self. Normally it tell you when there is a update and asks if you want to do it, but I have not seen this show up.

Peter

When you said "Tablet" I assumed you meant a full Windows OS 'Tablet' (like a small laptop with removable keyboard). Therefore running a full version of RM on it in 'Slave' mode.

Only major revisions are automatically detected during RM start-up. Like for example going from 1.63 to 1.64 to 1.65. Minor revisions are not auto-detected and need manual installation. Like for example going from 1.64 rev 0 to 1.64 rev 1 to 1.64 rev 2 etc.

This is rather an odd approach that HRMS have taken with regard to update policy, as it is usually the minor revisions that contain the 'bug' fixes. Thus in my view, more important than the major releases that are usually more orientated towards adding features.

Hi

I am using a Lenovo 10.1" tablet with andriod operating system. I have tried again with it as I updated railmaster and have got the lasted version on the tablet. I still have the same problem can not get loco to move I can control everthing else and stop loco with it. 

Peter

Hi RogerB

It's not a app on the tablet. You have to load through the powerpos web site every time so it should always be up to date. 

I cant see anything in the settings that may relate to it. 

Is there a setting to stop railmaster loco control moving when I do that with the control on the tablet?

peter

The application icon should sit on your home screen, like this. Admittedly mine is on an iPad but as far I understand it the behaviour is the same on other mobile devices. R-

/media/tinymce_upload/d8e0ed40c230f4cf6722f8b668d34607.PNG

As far as I know there as been a app for the iPad but not the android operating system. I have to use chrome browser to log into it. What I don't understand is It was all working fine a few weeks ago when I last used it. But not now. 

Peter

Ah!!  Chrome Browser.......probably an update to Chrome has occurred in the background and changed something.......a possibility.

Thought yesterday you might have known this Rog, there's been heaps of content about pinch not working post v52 of chrome. 

By the way, your RM doesn't work on your iPad. I must have tapped it 20 times and it won't open. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pete007

i have exactly the same problem with an android tablet and windows 8.1. I have been in communication with the support desk but they cannot find the problem. The only workaround that I have found is to chose the speed (shunt, cruise or slide throttle) then press the forward/reverse button, the locomotive then starts. This is very cumbersome and obviously makes it almost impossible to change speed.

i have sent RM Support the logs from the tablet and the pc but it doesn't seem to have helped them. There is an error message that comes up in the logs but I cannot tell what it means.

Just another point, I have tried also with an iPhone and the same problem occurs, thus I believe the problem comes from the PC. 

i get the impression that this is not a high priority for the support team as we do not seem to be very many that have this problem.

good luck

lenny64

I have an Android tablet and have given up with using the Hornby App on it as it does not work with any recent edition of Chrome. I now use my handheld licence on an old Samsung phone and use it solely as a throttle though even that is pretty poor to be honest.

What does work perfectly is to use Teamviewer on both the tablet and the PC to mirror the PC screen allowing you to switch between tablet and PC at will. You also don't need any additional licence as Teamviewer is free for home use. You can also use the tablet for voice control if you have the Pro Pack, thereby saving on the purchase of a bluetooth headset.

I remain of the opinion that Hornby should pull the mobile app for Android as continuing to sell it in the knowledge that it cannot function on most Android handhelds is, using a most conservative interpretation, unethical.

Chris,

I have just loaded Teamviewer and it communicates perfectly with my PC, much better and quicker than RM. thanks for the info. 

I agree with your comments on Hornby RM handheld for Android and I believe they should look at reimbursing the suckers who blindly purchased the RM application.

Thanks again

Lenny

• 2 weeks later...

Also Chromebook problem here.  Can only Shunt or Cruise, can't scroll the speed and only Forward wont't change to Rev. Give up on it now, got large laptop tucked under the railboard where i can see the screen and using a mouse in a nice easy position on a small shelf, works fine for me.

• 1 month later...

Is there more info anywhere about using Teamviewer with Railmaster? I would use Windows 10 Laptop and Android tablet, in the hope it would work better than my many attempts at using Chrome and the Railmaster software on which I have now given up.

@BagEndJct

What would you like to know about Teamviewer? I have it loaded on the PC I use as what you might describe as my Master controller as well as on my 8" android tablet. It works well as far as connectivity is concerned - very little lag when operating. If it has a downside it would have to be simply screen size. Because it is transferring the entire Railmaster screen to a small tablet screen, it can be fiddly to operate. To operate a throttle really does require use of the large throttle if any degree of control is to be got. Similarly operating the layout (points, signals etc) can be a challenge especially if you have a large layout. All these issues are simply a function of the screen size. Even the Roco Z21 has these issues, not so much with loco control (which is excellent) but with the layout track plan which they address by splitting it up into bite size screens. Great to ioperate individual elements but does mean you can't see an entire layout to see, for instance, a route has been properly set end to end.

Overall Teamviewer is a workaround rather than a solution but I would suggest you try it particularly as it is free. You may like it, you may not. But at least it works, unlike the Hornby offering!

Archived