Railgun

edward_goodwin

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Have you seen the latest from Oxford Rail? Boche Buster in 4mm scale to go with the Dean Goods in WD livery, and at a quarter the price of the Bachmann Ransome and Rapier 45 ton crane! However I have queried the announcement because the prices listed for the gun on its own are the same as the pack with the loco and gun.

I shall, --- because they have a genuine East Kent connection, and although my datum period is mid 1950s, I now have some trains in SE&CR livery (both pre WW1 and in Wartime grey), in Southern pre-War livery and also in BR Blue, Notwork South East and SouthEastern too in fact anything that operated in Kent has become fair game. 😆 I suppose a 'Eurostar' ought to be on the list?

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks   There is a great deal of misinformation, deliberate in some cases, and fake news being bandied about with regards these two versions of Rail mounted artillery.  Neither model has the correct type of barrel since the WW1 unit "Boche Buster" had a 14" GUN barrel requisitioned from an order for the Japanese.  "Gladiator", the WW2 unit, had a 13.5" GUN barrel after the non standard original 14" barrels had been scrapped in 1926.  The models sport an 18" HOWITZER barrel, not produced and fitted until about 1920 and "Boche Buster" was the only unit fitted with this barrel in WW2.  The Howitzer barrel has a much larger breech than the Gun barrels and of course a much larger calibre. There is a preserved 18" barrel at the Hampshire "FORT NELSON" Museum on a "Sleigh" used for test firing purposes. All the original Railway Mountings were scrapped either between the wars or the remaining 4 units used in WW2 soon after the war ended.  Alongside Gladiator in WW2 were "Scene Shifter" and "Piece Maker" (aka  Peace Maker ) also sporting 13.5" GUN barrels.

It is a shame the accompanying AMMUNITION WAGON has not been produced to serve the units. These armoured vans were carried on a pair of 6 wheel bogies and carried 96 shells stacked either side of a central passage. Below the roof was a rail which carried the shells through to the end of the wagon and directly out onto the runway of the gun.  They were still in use in WW2.  

Hi Folks   There is a great deal of misinformation, deliberate in some cases, and fake news being bandied about with regards these two versions of Rail mounted artillery.  Neither model has the correct type of barrel since the WW1 unit "Boche Buster" had a 14" GUN barrel requisitioned from an order for the Japanese.  "Gladiator", the WW2 unit, had a 13.5" GUN barrel after the non standard original 14" barrels had been scrapped in 1926.  The models sport an 18" HOWITZER barrel, not produced and fitted until about 1920 and "Boche Buster" was the only unit fitted with this barrel in WW2.  The Howitzer barrel has a much larger breech than the Gun barrels and of course a much larger calibre. There is a preserved 18" barrel at the Hampshire "FORT NELSON" Museum on a "Sleigh" used for test firing purposes. All the original Railway Mountings were scrapped either between the wars or the remaining 4 units used in WW2 soon after the war ended.  Alongside Gladiator in WW2 were "Scene Shifter" and "Piece inMaker" (aka  Peace Maker ) also sporting 13.5" GUN barrels.

It is a shame the accompanying AMMUNITION WAGON has not been produced to serve the units. These armoured vans were carried on a pair of 6 wheel bogies and carried 96 shells stacked either side of a central passage. Below the roof was a rail which carried the shells through to the end of the wagon and directly out onto the runway of the gun.  They were still in use in WW2.  

Any further information as regards the rail mounted artillery that were stationed in Lincolnshire during the early years of WW2. Thanks Eddy.

I came across the Oxford Rail Railgun today, on the Hatton's Model Railway website today and I generally didn't know that they were ever to going to release and that they ahd done. It's the most oddest thing I have seen for a long time. It looks like soemthing from Star Wars or something! Looking into it, I have found is / was real and is from World War II. I am unsure if any still exist in real life.

Does the Oxford Rail Railgun have a motor, as it's just shy of £50.00. It appears by first glance of Internet photos to be quite expensive, but then again it looks like it has lots seperately fitted pieces. Perhaps if I saw the model in real life, then I might agree with it's price tag.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Hi

During the 1970's there were a number of companies making plastic military model kits. I have trying to remember which company it was, they produced a model of a WW2 German railgun "Leopold" which when made properly would run on HO/OO track, they also made a model of the 15" tracked mortor which was used in Poland this came with a couple of attachable 10 wheel rail bogies which enabled it to be transported again on HO/OO track.

In the 80's Lima also made a complete German train with a giant rail gun as part of its contents. I guess us oldies are not so surpirised as the youngsters of today.

• 1 year later...

I came across the Oxford Rail Railgun today, on the Hatton's Model Railway website today and I generally didn't know that they were ever to going to release and that they ahd done. It's the most oddest thing I have seen for a long time. It looks like soemthing from Star Wars or something! Looking into it, I have found is / was real and is from World War II. I am unsure if any still exist in real life.

Does the Oxford Rail Railgun have a motor, as it's just shy of £50.00. It appears by first glance of Internet photos to be quite expensive, but then again it looks like it has lots seperately fitted pieces. Perhaps if I saw the model in real life, then I might agree with it's price tag.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

No gnr it has no motor .it needs plenty of room to swing round too . I ran mine on rad 3 it bumped a few things on the way .