Turn around corner/360 corner

JemB

Hi, I have a sport track+powerbase and I'm looking to make a track that loops on itself instead of completing a full circuit.

So it would work like this; https://gyazo.com/d40fa2ecc8e04c4a02a293c3d1056e99

I want to do this so I can have a hill climb/rally style track which I can go up and down on opposite sites of the road. Giving it a more road like feel, whilst also making laptimes longer with less track.

Now, I realize you can't do that since the car won't go the opposite way down a lane with power running to it. 

So I've thought about adding a switch of some sort to one of the start lanes from the powerbase. Meaning that I could control if the second lane gets power or not. In the hope that if it has no power the car can run the full track.

My questions are;

1. Have any of you tried adding a switch to the powersupply to a lane? If so can you give me any tips?

2. Will powering the car from 1 lane effect it's range at all? Will it have enough power to run on both lanes? For context my track will be around 15 meters, since it'll running on the same pieces twice in one 'lap'.

And if I need booster cables, what's the best way to do it on a budget? My track is all every close togther so cable ranges isn't an issue. But I saw that the Scaletric official ones are rarely in stock and also cost quite a lot considering that are only generic wires with hooks.(and I wouldn't need 3 meters of wires)

Thanks in advance for any help :)

If after all that, if you are asking if a toy can go up lane A , 360 back to lane B, and 360 again back to lane A,

then that is easy by disconnecting one lane at powerbase from track and aligning the curve track to make the 360s.

What you really should do is learn how to solder because most everything you will need to do in advanced slotting is by soldering.

I am sorry gorp I have re-read this post a few times and I really am not sure what you are trying to do.

On an analog track you get both lanes to be used by inserting one (and only one) cross-over piece either teh 90° R2 crossover for Sport ( https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/track/extension-packs/scalextric-track-extension-pack-1.html ) or the classic standard straight crossover.

This effectively doubles the length of the track but up to 20 meters usually no problem.

This makes both lanes powered and controlled by one controller. The car can start on either lane but it will always run in one direction. Which direction you control by turning the powerbase around 180°.

Maybe what you might be talking about though is often referred to as a "rally" loop or "drag loop":

This user did that by using the single lane "pit pieces". You can achieve the same by cutting track down the middle.

There is a dual power pack Sport powerbase that sperates the power to the lanes. You could crack that open and reqire it but it require soldering or at least new wire connections.

Does any of that help?

'Old' Scalextric had a set of special curves that fitted on the end of a track, forming a hairpin curve between the two tracks, so a car could go up the track and back down the other lane. Only one controller was plugged in as the whole thing was a single track.

I'm not sure whether you could operate the same kind of setup with only one controller plugged into the power base, but I'm fairly sure (fingers crossed!) that no harm would arise even if the second controller was plugged in BUT NOT PRESSED. Some brave soul will have to try that one out!

• 1 year later...

Archived