Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had a few more purchases arrive (including one all the way from China - which wasn't supposed to arrive till Mid-December...

There's a bit of an Armoured theme going on at the moment..

/media/tinymce_upload/e116b6592d321aea694a9923fb2eead8.jpg

(This acquisition got photo-bombed  😉)

/media/tinymce_upload/bd8621dcfa65c44bb85bf8c1eb6e9859.jpg

And all the way from China..

/media/tinymce_upload/dbc122df48b9b9075df6e99f8f516e4b.jpg

I'm really enjoying getting hold of the new releases right now and a few others. I've had both the 1/72 and 1/48 TSR2s in my stash since they were released, waiting for the right time, and when I got the Victor I decided that I wanted to complete the V Bombers and display them all together with a 1/72 TSR all in anti-radiation white. 

I bought a Valiant from flea bay recently and was thrilled to hear about the forthcoming Vulcan so ordered three of them. My V Bomber project will soon be a reality and all will be displayed in the fancy cabinets I'm buying for them.

I've snapped up a new tool Buccaneer, the new Navy and RAF Phantoms (one on pre-order), the Skyhawk and also pre-ordered the 1/48 Hunter and Sea Vixen. It's been a great time to get back into aircraft!

My 1/32 collection has the Tamiya Spitfire ix and Mustang already built with their F16 and Phantom 2 waiting in the wings and so the collection will have some distinct 1/72,1/48 and 1/32 shelves getting filled.

Hi Martin62

Looks like you're going to be a very busy guy. Would love to hear and see how you go with these builds.

It's usually reccond that the late 60's and early 70's were the Golden Age of modelling, but with all these superb kits coming out from all the manufactures, including Airfix, it seems we're luckily having a New Golden Age. Good luck with your modelling and keep them coming.

Remember we do this for fun                                         John the Pom

I've had a few more purchases arrive (including one all the way from China - which wasn't supposed to arrive till Mid-December...

(This acquisition got photo-bombed  😉

How do you find the 1/48 scale armour? I'm a 1/35 traditionalist and haven't caught the 1/48 bug which is a shame becuase there are some interesting kits available.

(This acquisition got photo-bombed  😉)

/media/tinymce_upload/bd8621dcfa65c44bb85bf8c1eb6e9859.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/dbc122df48b9b9075df6e99f8f516e4b.jpg

What are your thoughts on the 1/48 armour? I'm a 1/35 traditionalist and haven't tried any. They appear a bit small.

Hi Ratch. 

Seem I'm joining you in the Napoleonoic era; managed to find the French baggage wagon which with a modicom of mods could easily be turned into a WW1 era wagon as the basic design hadn't really changed since Roman times. Maybe I'll do one in the correct livery. Just for the fun of it as it really the rider that sets it in the time period.

/media/tinymce_upload/982ef6f8213fd8366d502bca233f8bd9.jpg

Remember we dothis for fun                                    John the Pom

My latest purchases over the past couple of weeks ........

/media/tinymce_upload/323b5e5535274ddacaaa19b308d22d26.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/7aec6d01d22a7648ea8edcc54848e842.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/eed1b0ce07e169d15b0d8b00b0d3659a.jpg

A Mig 15 with some Brassin Detail items and a Cold War paint set, just waiting for a certain Mig 17 to land and join the collection!

/media/tinymce_upload/9ab98e4f449f46db8a222f451f4596e4.jpg

Some MB Ejection Seat handles for a couple of recent FAA additions from Airfix?

/media/tinymce_upload/bfd63e97dfe862ab4daf6e7e8cbe08d2.jpg

My small 1:48th Scale collection was missing a Spitfire.

/media/tinymce_upload/781c20d941416b1d8c537de1ac3cbe71.jpg

And so far my personnal favourite, I have been waiting and looking forward to this Wellington arriving since it was announced all the way back in January!!

Quick visit to Clown's my LMS just to check if anything I've ordered is available and all I could get was The Airfix Me262 night fighter but at an exorpitant price of over 800 Rand which equates to 46 quid & 50 p how does that compare in the UK? Ordered it anyway for next year

Also came away with another Airfix Air-Sea Rescue Lanch still at the same price as the one I brought two years ago , You win some and you lose some???? Anyway I now no longer have to decide which version to build I can do both. This was prompted by the build posting of James Mower.

Last year I bit the bulit and brought the Revell re-ishue of they very ancient 1/96 scale Cutty Sark; now that's a scarey kit; so I decided on a practice piece first and the Academy 1/350 scale Cutty Sark seem to fit the bill perfectly, and at a mere 120 rand( About 6 pound 50P seemed a bargin. So  when I've finally waded my way through my stash of very old WW2 Japanese aircraft I think it'll be time for a change of pace for something nautical.

/media/tinymce_upload/b1658e3f60c849c65c6b260227a997b2.jpg

Remember we do this for fun                                   John the Pom

Wow John I feel for you that is exporitant! UK retails at £18.99 and you can often get free postage at about that price on eBay so it's not always so evil?

Would getting it online with postage to South Africa not be cheaper? 

@ JS

John I found a kit on ebay at a Buy It Now price of £16.99 from a seller who offered worldwide postage so I took the liberty to ask hope much to SA and he quoted £9.99. If you decided to follow that up it could save you about £20 or nearly 400 rand! I hope this helps you get your kit?

Latest acqusitions include

two Grumman Duck sea planes (Airfix).

one Vought Kingfisher seaplane (Airfix).

one Curtis Helldiver (Matchbox) and this evening i won a PBY Privateer and a Handley Page Halifax bomber; (both in Matchbox).

I'd been trying to win a Privateer for a while, and just missed on a number of occasions recently; the Consolidated B-24 Liberator is a personal favourite of mine, and so it was only right i got a Privateer! I'm naturally a very happy man this evening! 😎 😆

No piccies, but I've been acquiring odds and ends over the past couple of months.

I found a Junkers Ju52/3m, made by a Czech company using the Heller mould. Asking around about which 1/72nd kit was the best overall representation of the type, the Heller kit was recommended.

Via various member sales and swaps on another forum, I've acquired an AZ Models Grumman Martlet MkI, Smer (Airfix) Fairey Fulmar (got two of those now), Airfix really old tool Supermarine Walrus, Revell (ex Matchbox) Supermarine Walrus, and a new tool Fairey Swordfish. Bought via proper shops and online, a couple of new tool Tiger Moths (one might end up as a Norwegian example), a Gladiator (I have a Belgain air force thing going on), a new tool Bf109, and a pair of older boxings of the Airfix Fairey Battle. 

I've given up waiting for Airfix to do a new Battle, and I wanted to fill the yawning gap in my Bomber Command 1940 collection. I know the kit is wrong on all kinds of levels, but it will do until a better kit arrives. Two boxes, again, because of the Belgian air force connection.

Oh, and an AZ Model Auster. It doesn't fit my 1940 obsession, but Best Beloved flew one a couple of times and wanted a model. 

That's quite a varied list Heather. And the Airfix Battle is still a decent kit. I corrected a couple of the major errors on my build if you want to have a look? And if I can do it so can you with your skills.

And the new 2020 product list will be out very soon so you never know? With 2 Cold War jets recently (Buccaneer & Vulcan) my money would be on a WW2 aircraft being announced next and my personal selection would be the Battle or a Hampden?! 

@ Dominic

I did a Battle about 3 years ago and had the Valiant Wings nose modification but didn't use it, instead I used plastic card to extend the nose section and also the tail surface. I think it was a reasonable effort but a new tool from Airfix would be sooooooo much better! 

I decided to buy the old tool Battle, partly because I was fed up with waiting for a new one, but also to prompt a new one arriving on the market. That's the usual way it goes, isnt it.  😆

There's been a protracted thread on Britmodeller where the builder has been comprehensively rebuilding an Airfix Battle to correct it. Let's just say the modifications needed to make an accurate Battle from the box go way beyond a new nose. Wing and tail plane shape, undercarriage and bomb cells, scratching the cockpit fittings... the list goes on. Bearing that in mind, I shall pretty much build my kits as they come, being fully aware of the errors and inconsistencies. Should a new tool version arrive, which is has to one day, I will be close to the front of the queue to get it, and I will happily junk the older ones to make space.

With that, I shall wish you all a merry Christmas, may Santa bring you the kits you wished for, and see you all in the new year! 

Yes the old boxed kits require more corrections that I did, I only did 3 or 4 to make it better in my eyes and within my skill set. But I have got a few kits before Xmas...........

/media/tinymce_upload/5f207ae2ef3a31d9eb3d16429dc4992c.jpg

I did need a couple to expand my USAAF base.

/media/tinymce_upload/ffb1f42b2e0c9daf994764f539776e74.jpg

From so Flying Hours Tokens. 

• /media/tinymce_upload/fb7ff21984fac3f57005c2d729df3b34.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/902ecc022ce88b61ec541be95e579423.jpg
  • Been waiting for these 2 for a while then free postage popped up just in time!! 

My Christmas additions  😀

/media/tinymce_upload/223930ae81373158ded5ced63dd378e9.jpg

The stunning 1:48th scale Blenheim!

/media/tinymce_upload/852200cbf61bef82f37ac83352f404c5.jpg

And a couple of Starter Kits. I did get some Weathering Pencils to try too but the image won't load!