Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Airfix A010731:72 Grumman Widgeon/Gosling 

Thought I had better grab one before the old bird (really old - 1959) was consigned permanently to the history books. Now to carefully hide it away until it gets its turn on the bench. 

@ Heather

I thought you might like that 1 but probably just misses out from your 1940 interest as I don't think it was used operationally after the 1939 invasion of Poland. But some of your builds have rekindled my interest with early RAF and Luftwaffe aircraft, hence my grabbing the Ju86 ☺. 

@ Heather

I thought you might like that 1 but probably just misses out from your 1940 interest as I don't think it was used operationally after the 1939 invasion of Poland.  

Well, according to my references, two Ju86Ds were converted to running high-altitude Jumo diesel engines, and fitted with pressure cabins, designated as Ju86P. One was a bomber (Ju86P-1) and the other a reconnaissance plane (P-2). One of them flew an undetected high altitude reconnaissance mission over the UK in the summer of 1940. So, yes, I could get away with one, but I think I'll pretend I don't!  😉

@ Heather

Ah so yes you could have a Ju86 kit in your themed 1940 era in if you wanted. But leave that to me, I'll try a sneak a photo or 2 onto this forum when I have built it, probably next to my Ju88 or Ju87 and call it my 'Junkers yard!' Think it might hit my build table after my current project?

So, yes, I could get away with one, but I think I'll pretend I don't! 

You can relax, the high altitude versions were quite a bit different to the '86 depicted by the Italeri kit. OTOH RS Models do a 'P' and an 'R' if you really wanted to do one.

One of the 86P's was intercepted by Prince Emanuel Galitzine in 1942 or 43 in a specially adapted Spitfire, I think it might have been a record for highest altitude combat, but I digress.

@ Heather

I thought you might like that 1 but probably just misses out from your 1940 interest as I don't think it was used operationally after the 1939 invasion of Poland.  

Well, according to my references, two Ju86Ds were converted to running high-altitude Jumo diesel engines, and fitted with pressure cabins, designated as Ju86P. One was a bomber (Ju86P-1) and the other a reconnaissance plane (P-2). One of them flew an undetected high altitude reconnaissance mission over the UK in the summer of 1940. So, yes, I could get away with one, but I think I'll pretend I don't!  😉

ISTR reviews from back in the day explicitly mentioning that kit having the parts for diesel engines as an option. This message was sent from somewhere just above and behind Heather's left shoulder!  😇

@ P4T 

My research or reference material isn't as in deep as some so I stand to be corrected but I believe the Ju86D that I added to my stash was the inline Jumo Diesel engined aircraft developed for the original airline version (of which most early Luftwaffe bomber aircraft were designed from) being more economical.  It was later replaced with radial engines in the Ju86E which were more suitable for the military role

My research or reference material isn't as in deep as some so I stand to be corrected but I believe the Ju86D that I added to my stash was the inline Jumo Diesel engined aircraft 

You are correct, your kit has the diesel engines. Italeri issued an E1/E2 variant separately with radial engines.

@ Paul Brown

Thanks! I had the option of both kits when I made my purchase but opted for the earlier D version cos the camo was slightly different from the standard RLM 70/71 and wanted to try and do the red flash on the tail fins. 

😇

/media/tinymce_upload/13f0f4910ccbc21af31cb2ef901a5f23.jpg

I built one of these in my teens. I did all the rigging and weathered it, and I was very proud of my work. Long lost now, so I'm pleased to have a fresh one to have a go at. There's a chap on Britmodeller doing the complete superdetailing job on his, but I don't think I'll quite go as far as the bunks and Elsan...  😆 I'll probably use third party decals, as the ones in the box are a bit past their best, and actually look quite fuzzy. I love the price sticker: like Matchbox, Woolworths is just history. Was it really only £2.99? Bargain! I paid a little more for it the other day, I have to say, though it was still a bargain.

/media/tinymce_upload/2f326ad70ca0a252ce234492cd1c429b.jpg

Some more set dressing from Flightpath. The tractor is a nicely fiddly little deal in photo etch, but turns out really nicely. The Fulmar adds another one to my FAA/RNAS collection. Sealed box, too, all present and correct. I was actually pleasantly surprised at some nice fine recessed panel lines.

Into the stash they go!

@ Heather

So you won't be building them anytime soon? I did have both in my stash but sold them cos I didn't think I'd ever get round to them. And to be honest was disappointed with the Fulmer, think It was a reboxed mould share when which was common when Humbrol was running the show?

But have just replaced the Fulmer with a Special Hobby kit after doing my Swordfish and it renewed my interest in FAA aircraft. The Hobby kit was a bit pricey but looks to be lovely in comparison!

@ Heather

So you won't be building them anytime soon? I

Well, the stash currently contains several large models... 

/media/tinymce_upload/d9b72f05390bb498c4ff911c19d1ccf3.jpg

Sadly, I don't have anywhere to display them once build, although there are plans to build a nice big cabinet this year. It's not a gigantic stash, mainly because I'm focused on a specific time period. There's a lot of paying work I must get on with before I can spend too much time on fun things, some of which is visible in the photo. That's four GWR broad gauge coaches for a client in Australia, which need some final detailing and painting can begin. That's a lengthy job in itself! There's a dozen or more other coach commissions, plus about five locos of varying kinds. It's good to be busy.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at some nice fine recessed panel lines.

The Fulmar isn't Airfix tooling, it was originally developed by a company named Vista. As well as Airfix, it's also appeared in Revell, Smer, Mistercraft and most recently AZ boxes.

Pretty much the only game in town unless you can find an old Pegasus short run kit, or an even older Rareplanes vacform.

Special Hobby do a Fulmar which was a new tool in 2009, and reissued in 2017 with new parts! It's a nice kit, a bit more expensive than some but I think worth it as I added it to my stash a few weeks ago!