Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

/media/tinymce_upload/26d44ac146017fa616867b3825840fce.jpg

I already have a Pegasus Master, but I believe the Pavla one was recommended as better if I could find one. Well, I found one. I'll need to seek instructions for it, which won't be a problem I hope. The CR.42 effectively completes my 1940 Italian Air Force set, I think.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Pavla Miles Master in the stash too

Ooh! Could I be cheeky and ask if you might be able to scan or copy the instructions for me? There’s no rush, as this box will be in the stash for a while, I expect.

Mine's been in the stash for years - let me see what I can do (or SWMBO when it comes to scanning) 😳

It never rains but it pours. Today I collected the three outstanding Roden models from my order from last year. The Opel Blitz (Daimler built) wooden cab, the FWD model B with the 8 inch howitzer & limber from WW 1. (just finished the British army one, and what a neat little kit.) and finally the 8 cm Raketen Velfachwerter, basically an Opel Maultier with an armoured body and a rocket firing contraption on the top. Recently I got the Eduard Neuport 23 and it had two small sprues in a huge box nearly 8 X 12" box, the rocket firing Opel's box is about 6" X 10" and had 10; I kid you not; 10 sprues most being doubles and one quadruple, I'll have to get a bigger spares box. When I came in the door with them I swear I could hear the carpet monster sharpening it's teeth.

Yesterday an acquaintance arrived with two old Eagle Wall kits that he'd started way back when, so I've scored them, the Graf Spee & HMS Achilles, now that's nostalgia for you. I've mentioned them several times on this forum, but today they're like hen teeth, already started to deconstruct what I can, I'll add them to my Airfix Graf Spee post for comparison when finished. He also brought me two Fw 190-D kits to build for him the Airfix one and the Hasagawa one also the Dragon Ta 152-H with after market decals. looks like I'm going to be busy.

Remember we do this for fun.                            John the Pom

As a young lad, FROG was a popular kit brand.  And I recall that there were two 'types' of kit on offer, one that promised a good model without effort the other a more challenging model typically having a less than perfect fit and generally in a soapy dark grey plastic.  Also, FROG made some interesting british aircraft too.

And it's only recently that I've discovered that the better fitting FROG kits were in fact Hasegawa mouldings.  Now, eBay prices for FROG kits are currently very reasonable, and my latest acquisitions are primarily FROG issues of Hasegawa kIts including:

Vigilante - which is a classic case of big box, small kit

Intruder - very basic but until quite recently was still part of the Hasegawa range

Each kit cost me £4.99, which I thought a good price.  Hasegawa boxings fetched significantly more.  

From my LMS I bought the Airfix Wellington and the HO/OO WWI French and German figures issued under the 'Airfix Classics' banner.  It's very positive of AIrfix to re-issue 'classic kits' appropriately labeled so you know what you're getting eg these figures and the 1/76th armour re-issues.  I hope the range sells well as I personally enjoy these 'old' kits each of which triggers a memory for me of my mis-spent youth.  

I find these 'classic kits' present a challenging build, and being a 'kit basher' I generally finish these builds - unlike my attempts at modern kits!  For example, I am assembling both the 'old' and 'new' Seaking kits, and have found my attentions focussing more on the 1960s kit than the modern one.  I've chopped off various lumpy bits added to the kit to backwards-convert it's revised moulding to the original 'Apollo' recovery helicopter.  The 'finished' model doesn't compare to the superb modern edition, but I see it through a miasma of memories which adds value to the building process - for me anyway.

How old is it? If Hornby Hobbies haven‘t got any, I assume it is discontinued?

I looked at the image of the box and assumed it would cost mord than around £10.00. I looks like a big kit to me. I thought it would be more like £40.00! It just goes to show my knowledge of plastic kits is poor!  😆

GNR-Gordon-4

Bottle of Tamiya grey primer and thinners. Also finally brought home the Revell 1/96 scale Cutty Sark. I tried the sistership way back in the 1961 and never finished it. I think my mother finally gave it to the milk-man. Those white ribbs (Devils) scared me for life (No masking tape back then.) Hopefully I'll do a better job of this kit.

Remember we do this for fun                                    John the Pom

Bottle of Tamiya grey primer and thinners. Also finally brought home the Revell 1/96 scale Cutty Sark. I tried the sistership way back in the 1961 and never finished it. I think my mother finally gave it to the milk-man. Those white ribbs (Devils) scared me for life (No masking tape back then.) Hopefully I'll do a better job of this kit.

Remember we do this for fun                                    John the Pom

It's all John's fault - I've gone a brought the Airfix 1/72 05281a RAF Rescue Launch  😉