Simulating a hydraulic leak

Hi all,

I want to simulate a hydraulic leak at 1/48 scale, any ideas on how this could be a achieved ? I am reasonably new to the forum and couldn't find a reference to it, but apologies if this question has been asked before.

Si

Is it a static leak or a dynamic one?

Presuming it's on an aircraft, a static leak will appear, run down the side perpendicular to the ground plane, then drip from the lowest point of the line and pool below that.

A dynamic leak will run roughly "straight back" subject to the airflow. See pics of Messerschmitt bf109G "G6" for illustrations of just how counter-intuitively that could make a leak flow!

One technique I have found here and in Airfix Model World is the use of oil paints. Apply dots of suitably coloured oil paint (for an oil leak Raw and Burnt Umber, not sure what colour hydraulic fluid would be). After allowing a few hours to partially dry use a cotton bud or soft brush moistened with white spirit to streak the oil paint in the direction of the leak.

You can always practice on some scrap plastic to see what works.

Thanks Dad Paul B, will give that a go, starting with some research on what colour the fluid should be.

Paws4thot - the model is actually a 1:48 BAR Warrior - I normally paint to the manual, however wanted to try something different having obtained some photo-etched parts, so thought of adding some weathering, but also wanted a bit more than just some mudded tracks.  The end will hopefully be some kind of repair scenario diorama, will post some pictures when this finally gets completed.

Si

Archived