Airfix 1/76 Panzer VI Königstiger

Russ1707821018

My first armour completion in a very long time. Lots of fun, except for fitting the tracks, which are a couple of links too short:

/media/tinymce_upload/9b604908f4ad7aa09c8b99c57323f03a.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/c7f245d7bb1da825ab7e4be5e8382646.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/73f6f57659fbc758cba20eb38fec0e11.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/f032c5fbef676b15154bd2358be9e9bd.jpg

Hi VMA131 Marine.

Very nice model of the King Tiger. If you look back down the forum you'll find one in winter garb. Hope to see afew more Braile Scale models, although there not that many left in the Airfix Catalogue.

Thanks for sharing and keep them coming.

Remember we do this for fun          John the Pom

Very nice build .......just the way I like them ....without the mud!

I haven't built the one in my stash yet.

Airfix Modelworld Magazine - August 2012 issue - contains a step-by-step build by Richard Langford.  He doesn't mention the problem with the tracks and his photo on page 53 shows them fitted with no gap visible so I'm interested to know more about the problem with the tracks before I start mine.

The picture does show the tracks running in a straight line from the front to the rear sprocket.  This would be the case if the tank were moving and the top track were under tension.  Could it be that the tracks are too short if you show the tank as stationary ie with the tracks sagging?

There should definitely be some sag when stationary and the top track would tighten up when the tank is in motion since the drive sprocket is at the front of the vehicle. The problem with the kit is that the tracks are so tight when you put them on that they bend the drive and idler sprocket axles. I had to reinforce mine with brass rod. If I build another one, I will try to stretch the tracks in hot water a bit.

My top cheat..uh...'tip' for short tracks is to staple them together, leaving a gap between the ends, so as not to strain other wheels/sprockets. This only really works for vehicles where the top run of track can be hidden behind bazooka plates or fenders, though. If you're doing a diorama, you could ensure that lower track run is nice and muddy...Or make a diorama of crew 'track bashing'...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived