Railmaster 1.66 problems

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having let RM update itself yesterday, it will no longer read my loco CV values. It just sits there doing nothing, no warning about time it will take etc. Having closed the loco window, it eventually comes up with an error box saying it cannot read the decoder. Anyone else, please?

OK, I just found the problem with reading CVs having updated to RM 1.66. I just spotted that the "Range of CVs" to read had been reset as "from 0 to 0". Change the 2nd 0 to the appropriate number and all is well. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? At least it was a simple one to solve!

I am upset that my problem with the large loco windows sticking to my mouse pointer has not been solved with this update. That's a blow. RM support are well aware of the problem.

Hi

Just come across this topic and have been downloading RailMaster updates because I have no Internet on my PC running RM. I updated to 1.65 Version 1 and found that it didn't have the sound details for the new Merchant Navy R3382TTS but had the loco in the database.

I found that the link I was using doesn't have anymore updates - in fact it went back to a previous version!

However, I came across this topic and have managed to download version 1.66 . As I stated just stated, I won't be able to update in the usual manner, so will I be able to download the loco_en.dat file elsewhere, please?

Well, I have just installed 1.66 and found that I now can't find the Merchant Navy in the database at all!!

Help, please.

Many thanks

I don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but in the file LOCOS.DAT, the record for R3382T may be incorrect, as it seems to have a cross-reference to R3436 in it. Maybe HRMS can investigate this....

R3382 is definitely in the func_en.dat file.

Ray

Hi

Just come across this topic and have been downloading RailMaster updates because I have no Internet on my PC running RM. I updated to 1.65 Version 1 and found that it didn't have the sound details for the new Merchant Navy R3382TTS but had the loco in the database.

GeorgeF - I just wondered how you managed to activate RM with no Internet connection ?

The PC it's working on did have an internet connection when I installed it and activated RM. I have since moved the PC to the shed where I am having difficulty getting the network to work.

However, I managed to download 1.66 again on my laptop in the house and transfered it with the aid of a USB stick - performed the upgrade and now find that I can find the R3382TTS in the database but as Ray said it must be referencing a different model as the picture that appears is not the one in the Photos dir for R3382 - probably R3436!

No sounds allocated though!

George,

You probably need to temporarily move the RM PC into the house so you can connect it to the Internet. That way the 1.66 installed version can silently update the out of date loco sounds file when RM is started up. This updated file is not in the current 1.66 installer download and needs to be auto updated by RM over the Internet.

A Category 5 UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) Ethernet cable terminated on RJ45 8 pin connectors (a fairly standard twisted pair Ethernet cable design) is good for 100 metres as long as it is one unbroken length i.e not 20 x 5 metre cables connected together in series by RJ45 couplers.

Hi Ray

Many thanks for your info

I have a BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 System and have not had much luck with it.

The main problem being that the shed power Distribution Board is an extension off the Distribution Board in my garage. The garage power itself is an extension off the main house board! All via RCDs and safe, though.

I am not really surprised that I am having problems as they recommend that both hotspot units should be on the same ring.

I will wait for the cable that my son is going to make for me.

George,

I assume your son is familiar with Ethernet Cable pin connections, but just to be 'belt n braces' I have posted the pin connections below. For a RJ45 to RJ45 cable going from a broadband router or hub/switch to a PC he needs to use the pin out table for the 'straight through' cable.

For anybody contemplating making an Ethernet cable, remember it has to be made using Category 5 (or higher) UTP cable not just any old 4 wire twisted pair (for example CW1300 specification telephone wire cable.......totally unsuitable). Crimp on RJ45 8 pin connectors are available from most electronic component suppliers.

Note: the UTP cable will typically have 4 twisted pairs in it giving a total of 8 wires. Only 4 wires are needed for Ethernet. But make sure that the Tx wires are both on ONE of the twisted pairs and the Rx wires are BOTH on another twisted pair within the cable. DO NOT split the individual Tx & Rx wires across different twisted pairs within the cable. Severe crosstalk will result if you do.

/media/tinymce_upload/d74a9743560c6b0511ab299f1bd852b3.jpg

To be honest, it is just far easier to order a 'custom length' RJ45 cable from any of the Internet PC cable suppliers offering 'made to order' cables. The cost saving of DIY is minimal.

Regarding my original post about 1.66 issues. How about an apology from Hornby Railmaster Support ? 

It appears I am NOT the only person having issues.

With regard to the Internet connection issue - I see you have considered the Home Wire system offered by many manufacturers. Devolo make a great selection of options. As long as you are on the same ring main as you router it's the answer to the weak WIFI problem. http://www.devolo.co.uk/

The BT devices are pretty rubbish.

Hi Mikejj 

Many thanks but I think that the operative statement is "as long as they are on the same ring main". 

My router and PC are 2 hops of rings away from each other, which causes the problem with the BT Home HotSpot System.

Even with a WiFi repeater, I have trouble with a WiFi signal, as the walls in the bungalow must be solid concrete!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Having been on holiday, I have just received the long Ethernet cable from my son and it worked a treat accessing the intenret just fine. However on booting RM, it said it was looking for upgrades but I could not see any difference in the data. I deleted the entry for the Merchant Navy and tried adding it again but still no sound data. I will have another go tomorrow.

I've also just obtained the TTS chip for my Tornado but I may have trouble fitting it as it's the Railroad Tornado and I think that may differ from the TTS version. I will check the other topics on the forum to see if others have got around the problem.

Cheers

George

Going back to the MN.

I have Clan Line setup in RM with a few sounds in place, but after the auto-update to v1.66 I see that several of the sound functions in the right hand column are underscored.

When I hover of any one it says click to edit macro. When I click on them I either get the macro (e.g. P1~F3) ) - which I never put in there - or a message saying 'you cannot set a macro for a latching (on/off) loco function'.

I cannot ever remember seeing these underscores before and I certainly have not entered any such macros on the functions that are play once.

Has anyone else got the problem, before I report it in.

Rob

Archived