Transferring RM to new PC

Guest Chrissaf

Can you use the back up option built into Railmaster? I back up every time I add or change something in Railmaster always to a USB memory stick and I have had occasion to change computer. You will also need to deregister Railmaster on the old machine in order to use it on a new computer. Make sure you have written down the codes to unlock Railmaster and Pro if you have it.

First of all, you need to deactivate RailMaster (RM) on the problem PC. If you can't run RM on the problem PC in order to deactivate it, you will have problems activating your CD key when you reinstall RM on the replacement PC. It can still be done, but will take longer and you will have to contact HRMS (Hornby RailMaster Support) in order to do it.

Deactivating RM is described on page 131 of your RM User Guide manual.

Again (assuming you can still access files on the hard drive of the problem PC) copy the files listed on page 132 of the RM User Guide manual to a memory card or memory stick. The "the name you have given it.pln" file contains your track plan. The other listed files contain your loco roster and other things that are specific to your RM configuration. These files are located in the RailMaster program folder on your problem PC C: hard drive. Or use the ProPack backup & restore feature for this task if ProPack is installed....see PS further below.

Install RM (using the installer downloaded from the link on this forum at the top of the RailMaster / TrackMaster forum section).

Right click the downloaded "rm_setup.exe" installer file and choose "run as administrator" (Windows 7 and above).

Activate the installation using the Activation key code from your original CD. Do not use your RM CD to install RM as that will be out of date. Use the downloaded installer as described above.

Once activated, copy the files from your memory card / stick back into the RailMaster program folder on the new replacement PC. This will be (assuming a 64 bit PC) C://.........Program Files (x86)/railmaster

If all is well, RM should show all your locos and track plan as before, when you restart it.

This is all explained on pages 131 / 132 of the RM User Guide manual.

PS - The above is for the "Standard Edition" of RailMaster. If you have the "ProPack" upgrade installed, use the ProPack backup and restore feature (page 135 in the RM manual). The "Standard Edition" does not have the inbuilt back up & restore feature 'Ex-tntrucker' mentions. Remember, if you have ProPack, you will need to re-activate that code on the new replacement PC as well.

PPS - If you have previously made any manual alterations to your "railmaster.ini" file, remember to make them again to your new .ini file created during the RM installation.

Talking of which, connect your controller and install your (eLink / Elite) driver before running the "rm_setup.exe" installer. With your preferred controller connected and powered and the driver correctly installed. It is then more likely that the installer will create the correct .ini file for you.

If you have any controller not recognised errors or loss of controller communication errors after the installation of RM on the new replacement PC, this will be because the .ini file is not correct. If you get these errors, review the contents of the sticky thread at the top of the RailMaster / TrackMaster forum section.

Hi

I am running railmaster on a problem conputer. I need to transfer the rail master program and trak plan to a new conputer, I have a large layout and I don't want to have to do the trak plan again?

Thanks Railings  

• 4 weeks later...

Dazzler, you can get HRMS to re-activate your RM code via the evaluation edition of RM on your new computer. After you open up RM, click on the "Thumbs Up" icon on the top row. You then get "Software Activation by Internet" window. Fill this in with all the relevant details and then click on green tick.  This connects you to the activation gateway and comes up with a new box telling you that the software is already registered using te Activation key specified. Tick the green tick and a new box comes up asking if you want your RM key to be reset. Once again tick the green tick and the new box is "Request Reset of Railmaster Key". Fill in all the relevant details and finally click on the green tick. I found that HRMS usually deal with this within 24 hours.

Regards,

BarryO

So he is Westernwill, I missed the key words "evaluation" and "new PC" there.

I really must get a little hand put on these glasses.   😎

Thanks. R-

That's Ok Roger. I struggle to see the screen these days let alone make out the words. A very large magnifying glass helps if i don't drop it as I fall asleep. lol. Bryan

What I was gonna ask is, since I thought I'd been keeping up with the Hornby new releases, my model shop called me yesterday and said my pre ordered tts Scotsman was ready for pick up, I had no idea it had been released, when did this happen? Checked the shop on this site it still says pre order, I take that as it hasn't been released as yet but obviously it has.

looking at the new royal scot to accompany a new purchase of the £5 rm, any ideas when it will be released?

sorry for going off topic and hijacking the thread.

Archived