Mazak rot?

Passed Driver

Motor mounts are available from Peters Spares I believe.

https://www.petersspares.com/peters-spares-ps61-replacement-hornby-t9-motor-mount.ir

Gday Rog,

Thanks for the link; any help is greatly appreciated, but unfortunately it is not just the motor mount, it is the entire chassis. My SR black T9 chassis is jammed in it's shell and the rear drivers & the loco/tender coupling are locked in place due to the expansion of the metal.

Cheers

Damien

Hi Mark Damien, welcome to the forum.

Could I ask you to list the 'R' numbers of the problem T9s. I have several of these locos so could check mine.

I would also like to hear from other members if they have experienced this problem,and which model. I know the class 31 is well documented.

Somewhere I recall, I saw a list of, the most affected Hornby locos, as well as other makes which suffer from this problem.Perhaps other members may know where it is, and post a link.

The R numbers are as follows

R2813 

R2815

R2711

R2829

R2892

R2690

These vary from total deformation/deterioration of the chassis & motor mountings to just the motor mountings.

Due to person issues my locos have been packed away. Times have changed and I recently started getting my much loved model trains out again. I have eight Hornby T9's; two of which are special editions. So far SIX of EIGHT T9's are non runners due to this metal disintegration problem. Since these locos were only ever test run before being stored, I am a little upset about the lack of replacement Chassis & Motor housings.

Bachmann had the same problem with one particular run of their N-Class. They did a run of replacement parts; painted & numbered, and provided them free to whoever asked for one.

Is Hornby going to do the same? 

I have the same problem with the Hornby T9's, R2889 X 2, R2813 (Southern Suburban 1938), & R2690, which have never been on the track from new.

I have seven T9's, and only 3 are undamaged, that i can see anyhow.

All mint boxed about 10 years ago or so, & only re-inspected after watching a video on "Marzak Rot" (Hornby), and they just fell apart into a hand full of metal crumbs, when taken out of their boxes. 

The main chassis had just disintergrated! 

Of course Hornby don't want to know about it, and a complete replacement chassis is non existant.          I have bought 4 x PS61 replacement motor retainers from Peters Spares, however, they cannot supply the chassis or rear motor retainers.

These were expensive items, and now they are destined for the rubbish bin, where they belong, as they are completely useless. (I can't even put them on static display.)

Good luck finding the correct spares! 

Some of the China made BR Standard 9f 2-10-0 locos (Evening Star type) with the Ringfield motor tender drive have mazak problems with the chassis block. Expansion jamming the axles for example.

I have also heard of 9f Ringfield motor casings with the problems.

I have had small parts of some other loco chassis affected...I think that some tender drive Princess locos are affected...the protruding lugs can expand and snap off...

Historically, I have a Tri-ang Hornby "Railway Children" set Jinty that had the smokebox exploded by expansion of the mazak small synchrosmoke unit.

I have a few small syncrosmoke units with the same problem.

So, a bad batch in the early 1970s?

I wonder; since Hornby are not interested in helping their T9 customers, if they lent their chassis casting die to Peter's so they could have some made. I think that's the least Hornby could do.

The economics question for Peter's is how many T9's are out there - Hornby could tell us, and I'd say there are quite a few.