Newbie scx wos to scalextic?

Joey1960

I started out a newbie with pancreatic cancer, needing a hobby... as you might know scx wos has fallen apart. Now I have a lot of scx universal track that from my understanding would work with scalextix? What else would I need... control box, controllers, can I chip my wos to scaley? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Please help needed here in PA

Joey1960

Scx analog track was shallow scaly classic compatible.

But do not know if wos is.

If so current scaly digital guides would need trimmed to use it.

Know that original scx digital used up and down guide to change lanes on a nonmoving changer track.

Believe the scx digital front end cannot be easily converted to scaly while scx analog cars could while scaly digital and analog cars could not be easily converted to scx wos. ( both directions would require surgery and glueing sacrifice of a current chassis of conversion target - so replacing would cost more than buying new)

Suggest ebaying scx and starting over with scaly digital set to provide you all the track and cars you actually need.

Unfortunately SCX digital is the most incompatible of all digital systems. Non of them are compatible to the others but SCX went a completely different route using a physical "tongue" to switch lanes as apposed to the infrared (IR) LED flashing light that Carrera and Hornby Scalextric uses.

Let us start with some of options:

It is not clear from your post if your SCX WOS is in working order order or not. If it is and you simply want to expand you have to find the hard-to-get Universal to Analog SCX adapter piece s-l225.jpg. The SCX Analog track looks (and essentially is) the same as Scalextric (Hornby) Classic track with the 2 "spoons" or "loops". You can then use the Scalextric (Hornby) Classic <-> Sport adapter (C8222) and you can add analog Sport track to your set. You cannot use any digital pieces with lane changing as the systems are completely incompatible.

If you want to remain digital you will have to get rid of the SCX powerbase, controllers and lane changers. You can use the adapter above to re-use your track and connect it to Scalextric (Hornby) Sport track and digital.

As gorp mentioned, older analog SCX and Scalextric track has a shallower slot so newer cars may need 2-3 mm shaved off the bottom of the guide blades/flags so that they don't "bottom out". I don't know the slot depth of SCX digital/universal.

If you decide to go Scalextric digital you will have to convert all your cars with Scalextric chips. There are several threads in the slotforum.com site that explain how to chip SCX cars to work on Scalextric or how to "analogize" am SCX digital car to analog.

I have actually de-digitized an SCX digital car to analog and use it on ARC AIR very successfully.

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/sets/app-race-control-arc/arc-air.html

You may want to consider ARC AIR as an analog option if jumping to Scalextric digital is too costly.

Archived