DCC decoder socket - Ringfield motored locos

jaguar12

Before I embark with my soldering iron trying to convert some of my ringfield motored locos to DCC, please could someone clarify the correct Hornby part number for a new DCC socket, for it to sit in.

Ive been thinking that rather than soldering a Hornby R8249 decoder in directly, it might be worth soldering a socket in and then the decoder can plug into that? Similar to those locos that are DCC ready.

At least that way, if the decoder needs removing, or altering back to analogue, it's a bit easier. 

Ive seen some online sockets with and without trailing wires?

Thanks

Hornby do not sell a socket designed as a generic after market upgrade component. It is possible that there might be a spare part circuit board from another loco that might be adaptable, but your best bet is to search ebay and Google for "8 pin DCC Socket". There are loads of suppliers selling 8 pin sockets to assist the DCC upgrade you are contemplating. Including the ones with trailing wires that you have mentioned. And YES, it is always worthwhile going to the trouble of fitting a socket rather than permanently hard wiring in the decoder.

Hornby do not sell a socket designed as a generic after market upgrade component. It is possible that there might be a spare part circuit board from another loco that might be adaptable, but your best bet is to search ebay and Google for "8 pin DCC Socket". There are loads of suppliers selling 8 pin sockets to assist the DCC upgrade you are contemplating. Including the ones with trailing wires that you have mentioned. And YES, it is always worthwhile going to the trouble of fitting a socket rather than permanently hard wiring in the decoder.

they sell this one, which i use myself, https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/pcb-socket-and-pins.html

Learn something new every day.......however I would comment that the component on the end of the link looks very basic and would appear to may needing a certain amount of adaption to make it suitable for mounting via the screws without risking shorting out the socket pins underneath on metal loco chassis components. At least the non Hornby after market sockets with trailing wires are heat shrink sleeved. But I bow to your knowledge of using them, as I have not.

You can get them bare, with wires or with a small pcb.

DCC Supplies have them but at a premium price.

Laisdcc have them at a dollar 50 each with the pcb - I cant think why it would be of any use.

Just google NEM652 socket and pull up images then go to the associated site of any particular image.

At last a picture has loaded showing the bare items in use on a 0-4-0 (forgive my non-std wire colours) ...

/media/tinymce_upload/b7bd1435d8143459f7c1362abe0bb075.JPG

Rob

Archived