Lane changers

Paul461

Hi, 

I am new to the hobby and have just bought a c7042 digital 6 car power base along with some track ,including 2 lane changing corners. Without using the Lane changers the track works perfect in digital mode but if I connect the Lane changers the 6 car power base goes straight into SAFE mode. Even if I just have the power base on its own with the Lane changers only connected it still goes straight to SAFE mode. I have actually spoken to someone at scalextric who advised me to read the instructions! I have done this but I'm at a loss. Can someone please help?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we were just talking about this same situation here last week

newbie buys digital/analog powerbase with unmodified curved changers

which are the problem

go to slot forum and search under digital scaly for pics of easy conversion so they will work with apb c7042

also believe straight dual changers, which do not have to be modified, are better choice

which are the problem

go to slot forum and search under digital scaly for pics of easy conversion so they will work with apb c7042

also believe straight dual changers, which do not have to be modified, are better choice

which are the problem

Thanks for this.To be honest I wasn't expecting to be doing any modifications to new track. Have I bought the wrong items? 

I suspect it's stuck in analogue mode.

If you take the lane changers out of the track and switch on the C7042, does it go into SAFE mode then?

If not then navigate the menu to the Platform menu and check it is in Digital and not Analogue mode.

If it goes to SAFE mode without lane changers then check for shorts between the rails on your track - I had it the other day due to a frayed braid shorting the rails

if you want to use the track with corner lane changers in ANALOGUE mode (ie running analogue cars - they'd be non-functioning lane changers) then you have to open them up and cut the copper tape in the 2 correct places to stop the 2 lanes being bridged.

The corner lane changers should work with no issues in DIGITAL mode.

If I want to run analogue I remove my corner lane change and replace with 2 R2 curves - just to be sure.

I suspect it's stuck in analogue mode.

If you take the lane changers out of the track and switch on the C7042, does it go into SAFE mode then?

If not then navigate the menu to the Platform menu and check it is in Digital and not Analogue mode.

If it goes to SAFE mode without lane changers then check for shorts between the rails on your track - I had it the other day due to a frayed braid shorting the rails

I have tried this . Without the Lane changers the cars run on the same track controlled by the separate hand controllers without a problem. When I connect the Lane changers to the track it just goes to safe . The Lane changers are brand new and have never had a car run through them before. 

if you want to use the track with corner lane changers in ANALOGUE mode (ie running analogue cars - they'd be non-functioning lane changers) then you have to open them up and cut the copper tape in the 2 correct places to stop the 2 lanes being bridged.

The corner lane changers should work with no issues in DIGITAL mode.

If I want to run analogue I remove my corner lane change and replace with 2 R2 curves - just to be sure.

I have 3 cars all fitted with a chip and are running in digital mode. When in substitute the lane changers into the track, replacing the R2 curves, it goes straight to Safe.

the problem appears on digital because if you turn off when in analog, when restarted will be in digital 

since there has been no new curved changers for years, problem would appear be a short in some form on 2 piece curved changer track

After further research it is apparent that some C7042 APB have faukty relays that cause it to go SAFE with unmodified CLCs in the track in any mode.

I have posted a picture of how to modify the CLC (corner lane change) to get around this problem.

It's awaiting moderator approval.

the problem appears on digital because if you turn off when in analog, when restarted will be in digital 

since there has been no new curved changers for years, problem would appear be a short in some form on 2 piece curved changer track

Thanks for your info. I won't know untill I get back home on Thursday night. I will check to see if there is anything shorting across.

After further research it is apparent that some C7042 APB have faukty relays that cause it to go SAFE with unmodified CLCs in the track in any mode.

I have posted a picture of how to modify the CLC (corner lane change) to get around this problem.

It's awaiting moderator approval.

Thanks for your help. I will check again for a short on the CLC . I will only know when I get back home on Thursday night.

It's only 2 snips - 1 where the scissors are and one bottom right that's already been done.

You want a better pic? How much clearer can it be?

Re APB switch on

They all start with choice of Basic or Pro

but switch it off in Analog and it will stay in analog until you switch it back to digital.

Basic v Pro is NOT analog v digital

Yes - they'll then work in both Digital and Analogue.

Be sure to snip in EXACTLY the right places

You are eliminating a circuit between the 2 running lanes but still keep power to the Xover lane with 1rail connected to 1 lane and 1 rail connected to the other rail of the other lane. This isolates each lane from each other (for analogue) but still keeps power to the crossover for digital use. So before you snip be sure to check where you snip will give you that result.

Good luck!