Advice on how to get started

Evzone

Hello, im recently retired and doing the things I’ve missed out on over the years. On my bucket list is to get back in to slot cars after a 20 year gap.   I’m pondering the following, and I’d love to hear your views, advice and comments on the project I’m contemplating.

I want to recreate a track reminiscent of the golden era (for me anyway), 1950 - 1970, and I love creating dioramas, making terrain and buildings.  I adore cars of that period.  I’m thinking of getting an ARC pro, as the functions sound great fun.  So, given the brief, my questions are:

1. I want to race against ghost/ pace cars operated automatically (billy no mates) - what do you recommend?

2. Is it worth buying the forthcoming ARC pro platinum set, given I really want to play with cars of my chosen period, or can I buy track, ARC and components separately.

3. Can the likes of Vanwells, Maserati 250f, Lotus, Brabhams and alike go straight on to a digital track, if not what do you recommend?

4.  I notice a number of other companies sell cars that interest me, can they be used on Scalextric track and kit (hope this is acceptable on this forum)?

5.  What do you recommend in terms of track plans to build my own layout?

6. Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thank you for this, all advice greatly appreciated and received.  I hope this isn’t too naive of me, but the more I read the more uncertain I am on where to start, so I’ve come to the experts for help.

happy racing!

1. I want to race against ghost/ pace cars operated automatically (billy no mates) - what do you recommend?

Both ARC AIR and ARC PRO have this function. To date ARC AIR only supports 1 car (obviously as it is analog only) and I think ARC PRO will also only handle 1 car currently

2. Is it worth buying the forthcoming ARC pro platinum set, given I really want to play with cars of my chosen period, or can I buy track, ARC and components separately.

Most users arte stating getting the same amount of track, plus powebase plus contollers will run you anywhere from 200-400 USD$ more....

3. Can the likes of Vanwells, Maserati 250f, Lotus, Brabhams and alike go straight on to a digital track, if not what do you recommend?

Digital always requires a digital chip. There is a "retro chip" C7005 but many older race cars are just too narrow to make it fit. There is a database on slotforum.com that lists what cars have successfully been "chipped". See my comments about ARC AIR below.

4.  I notice a number of other companies sell cars that interest me, can they be used on Scalextric track and kit (hope this is acceptable on this forum)?

I have used nearly every brand of car on my ARC AIR system and as long as there is space you can convert any car to digital using the chip I menitoned above. The ARC system requires black guide blades though so you may have to paint or color them.

5.  What do you recommend in terms of track plans to build my own layout?

Depends on the space available and its shape. Try to get fast and slow curves in and at least 1 straight you can go full power on. Many avoid the R1 curves (Carrera cars have a longer guide blade and get stuck)

6. Anything else I should be thinking about?

ARC PRO has a digital and an analog mode. In analog it is basically the same as ARC AIR which means you get timing, lap counting, pitting, fuel and tires. You can use your cars on this that can't be chipped.

Both ARC AIR and ARC PRO allow you to modify the behavior of the car so they can match performance.

Try to avoid buying "classic" track as it tends not to be in good condition have connection issues.

More info: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/sets/app-race-control-arc.html

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/tips

Since you have been gone, scaly vintage f1s are more to scale and appearance, quick, and fragile.

Arc pro allows  you to adjust digital throttle pattern so those fragile f1s can be raced better but do not know if ran as analog if throttle can be adjusted.

Understand you can run more than 1 as pacer on arc pro, at same speed but only 1 human allowed.

The way around that is run old style with rubber band.

R1 curves are ok as long as guide to rear wheel is normal compared to todays modern long f1s.

Carrera cars usually come with spare scaly size guide or can be purchased separately.

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to thank everyone who has responded with advice to this thread and the other threads I’ve started, all focused on getting back in to the hobby.  I’ve received confirmation from Hornby that my ARC pro platinum set will be with me on Monday; and today the local model shop said they will help me chip my non-DPR cars.  So, all in all, joining this forum has been a great help, a mine of valuable advice and friendliness. 

Thanks again!

Archived