TTS Sound issue

Lav

Hi. Can anyone help with an issue I have with a TTS Class 31 Decoder which isn't doing what it is supposed to do. I am using the Hornby Railmaster Software with the E Link box. I can get all the sounds to work when the appropriate button is pressed but the engine will start and then stop again. The sound does not continue when the loco is moving. Have tried resetting the decoder and have read the instruction leaflet to no avail. As far as I have read elsewhere on the Internet, the loco shouldn't move at all until the sound is turned on with F1 which is the engine start button. As I said though, this does indeed start the sound but it doesn't idle, it just runs for 5/6 seconds and then dies again. Anyone point me in the right direction? 

When you get to the roundabout, turn left, right?  :-)

I don't use E-link, but it seems to me that you have F1 set as a momentary, not a on or off, setting. So the engine noises see they have been started and cancelled. It takes a short while for the decoder to cycle through the start-up and shut-down actions, giving you this time lag.

Taking what Eric says above a little further....

When you look at the function button list for your loco in RailMaster (RM) does the F1 button text label say "Sound" or does it say "Sound on/off"?

Any button label without the "on/off" text is a momentary function and only plays once. The "on/off" text forces the function to latch on until the function button is clicked again.

Even if the list was auto-populated as a result of calling up the loco R number from the database, it has been known for these "on/off" annotations to be missing on occasion.

The function button is easily editable in the 'Locomotives' settings screen of RM, therefore open your loco in that screen and just edit the button label to show the "on/off" text (without the " " marks), then save the changes.

For the elimination of doubt, the yellow highlight in the image below shows the label box field where the label text is defined and editied.

/media/tinymce_upload/6af24f3132f6935b491eb9d15af15ab9.jpg

Thanks everyone. You are right of course!! I'm new to the Hornby Railmaster Software and also DCC Sound. I actually fitted the decoder to a Hornby Class 60, not a Class 31. I know the sounds aren't exactly authentic but they at least do sound like a diesel. I sorted the issue by adding on/off to the F1 button. I am now quite impressed overall by the sound, bearing in mind this is my first sound loco, but I now have another question about this decoder. I previously had a Bachmann Decoder fitted to this loco and it had brilliant low speed control. This loco is a very heavy one with very good slow speed control, one of Hornby's finest I might add!! Now with the Hornby TTS Decoder fitted, the characteristics have changed quite a lot. Unless I set the speed to 4 in Railmaster, the loco won't move. It starts with a bit of a jerk and stops exactly the same way. Before with the Bachmann decoder it would start up very smoothly and stop exactly the same way. I have had to set the motor Alogorithm to Alogorithm 2 as setting 1 was very jerky. Is there anything I can tweek to get it to start more smoothly? In the Bachmann decoder there is a CV that sets the maximum voltage. This helps a lot to make the start off and stop very smooth on some locos. Is there anything similar I can set on the TTS Decoder to do the same? Thanks in advance.

Check out your leaflet on what CVs you have. I don’t think they include Vstart though (no just checked, definitely no CV5).  But also check the 2 other CVs you can adjust associated with the motor algorithm and see if they improve things.  They are CVs 151-154 and you can google P1/P2 and I1/I2 to find out more about what they do beyond what the leaflet says.

Archived