First set for 3 kids

Bakedbean

I have three sons, aged 8, 6 and 3 and was thinking of getting them a scalextric track for xmas. From a quick read on the web, it looks like I'll need to get a digital set for all of them to race at the same time. After that, things get a bit hazy...!

I don't want to spend a small fortune initially, in case they don't take to it so Arc Pro is out of the running. Ideally, I'd like to get a basic set that can be easily extended over time.

There's a few Triple Ignition sets on ebay and gumtree at a reasonable price. Would this be a good starting point? It this "old style" or are all digital sets new? Would it be easy enough to extend this track? I've also seen Triple Rivals and Triple Cup but can't tell what the difference is between all these sets - they look so similar to the untrained eye!

Can you experts please help me?! Many thanks...

The second hand digital will be ideal and they are all with the current type of track. The sets you mention use a 4 car base and another power supply would be wise if racing 4 cars.

Differences to look for are the pit lane complete with pit lane game - that will add another feature to a basic set.

Triple Rivals has a corner lane changer which will not work with Arc Pro should you upgrade in future, it also has a straight lane changer.

Triple cup should have the pit lane game included - make sure it still is and has not been sold off on its own!

You need the powerbase 4 aka pb4  which is made for 4 cars but only runs 3 well, so you need only 3 hand controllers.

Be advised it uses only 1 powerpack not 2 as mentioned above.

Add 1 or 2 straight dual changers and a 4-6 car lap counter.

Pit lane game is dumb and curved changers are a upgrade nono later.

Add the regular track pieces and 3 digital cars, because you cannot easily run analog on pb4.

This is best way to start.

Thank you both for your responses. That's really useful! When you say "regular track pieces" do you mean any basic digital track? I can't wait! Perhaps I should be getting a 6-car powerbase so me and my partner can join in!! What happens when you run 4 cars on the pb4?

pb4 does not have enough power to run more than 3 cars well plus lane changers and lap counter

you do not want original pb6

the apb has prices all over and pain to use

the arc pro is best ever

but the pb4 is still the best choice for digital for 3 kids starting out

however you could save money going analog and kids could take turns racing

"kids could take turns racing" ha ha! Explain that to the littlest! Thanks Gorp. May have secured a pit stop challenge set at a bargain price so will probably go for that (despite the gimmicky game). Will it be easy enough to change to a figure of eight or whatever later with extra track? I'm only used to wooden train track - hope it's as easy as that! Thanks again...

😆!!

OK so one last question (possibly!...). What additional track pieces would I need to extend the basic oval of the pit stop challenge set into a figure of eight (cmon, the kids are gonna want some near and not so near misses!) or something a little more interesting? Many thanks for your patience...!

PS Is there somewhere on the web that lists all the different track pieces/codes, with guidance on how best to use them?

Save

You can either use the cross-roads, part number C8210 if you want them to crash or you use something prop the track up and make a bridge.

There is no "best way" to use track. In general though using R1 (the tightest) curves is hard for many users and even some non-Hornby brands have trouble negotiating them.

My personal rule is to always try to get in as long of a straight as possible so cars can go full speed for at least a full second.

I also like to build bridges, overpasses etc to get more track in the space but always make sure potential crash areas are easy to marshal (marshalling= putting cars back on the track).

That is why ARC AIR (and ARC PRO) are so great as you don't have cables and can stand anywhere aroudn the track.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's not too late to consider and you really want them to get "hooked" then here are my 2 cents:

Get a 4-lane oval track, analog. Get banked curves. They'll love it. The oval keeps it simple space-wise, the analog keeps it cheap, there are some very nice graphics on the cheaper super resistant analog cars, the banks will help keep the cars on the track at fast speeds. 

Once they're hooked and a little older you can expand with fancier tracks, cars, digital, etc.

Please note the crossroads is definately for crashing cars and unless the cars are robust they will get broken. Far better (in my opinion) is to get the bridge supports for creating a crossover if you have to. there are two ways to bridge. One is using the 90 degree bridge track, the other is to use the supports to cross at 45 degrees (traditional figure 8 layout), The cardboard bridge supports work well in that arrangement.

Like Andy, I try to get a fast section in. i.e. a long straight usually with my Radius 3 banked bends at one or other end!

Please note that the old digital sets (4 car) do not have an analogue mode. So all your cars will need to be digital. However an analogue powerbase and controllers can be picked up for next to nothing if you want to race just two analogue (or digital) cars. The digital cars will run as analogue as well as digital.

Cross roads don't cause as much crashing as lane crossing curves IMHO. If you have the cars set up to be more or less the same in performance and if you make seure there is plenty of track on either side of the corss roads (no the typical R2 280° curve only) they will be side-by-side most of the time and not crash at the corssroads but they will when they switch lanes (in the curve).

In fact when we used to race the demolition derby cars a lot I actually had to stop on the crossroads to initiat a crash!

Yes, it does open up the potential but I don't think it guarantees that there will be more crashes (assuming you have the space).

Just my 2 cents, 😎

• 2 weeks later...

Archived