Make your own 'High Quality' Static Grass Applicator.

Guest Chrissaf

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, If you read my original constructional 'how to'. The whole purpose of the inner electrode is to ensure that the front mesh is electrically isolated so that you can touch it without receiving a 15,000 volts shock. If one feels the need to discharge it. Then one would normally have to remove the front cap containing the mesh to empty out unused fibres and/or clean it anyway. Then that gives the opportunity for the negative fly-lead to be touched on the electrode to discharge very safely without the risk of being shocked.

My version follows closely and adopts the original Noch applicator design. Noch use the inner electrode method for the same safety reason.

Whether one would be affected by it or not I do not know. But what about someone with a 'pacemaker' fitted or other delicate electronic medical aids fitted under the skin. Surely, it is best to play safe.

Whether one would be affected by it or not I do not know. But what about someone with a 'pacemaker' fitted or other delicate electronic medical aids fitted under the skin. Surely, it is best to play safe.

maybe so Chris, but as it's only me that will use it, i have got into the habit of discharging when done,

anyway it is only like a tens machine, but with a bit more punch, one belt a day keeps your fingers tingling  😆

it's not the voltage that kills but the amps,  piezo ignitors are similar throwing out around 12,000 volts, had plenty of fun at school with one of them, anyone remember the van de graaff generators at school, had some fun with them too,

I've been watching a few YouTube video's on applying static grass, and noticed on several that the operator was holding the earth/grounding wire, rather than clipping it to a nail or to track. For the best results should the nail be tapped into the pva/glue where the grass is to be applied? BB

I would say that having a secure electrical ground connection directly placed to the pre PVA glued layout scenery where the grass is to be scattered is more likely to give the best results. I wouldn't use the track rails itself though for that connection.

No, that would upset the Elite and most of your decoders! Keep them well away!

-

Dynax put - had plenty of fun at school with one of them  - - - Also a simple relay and a pp3. Nothing dangerous there, until you get a belt off the back emf! Even more fun when you put the 'normally closed' and 'common' contacts in as a switch, and make the relay into a buzzer!

I wondered why my Jack Russell was making such fuss one day years ago and he had found a PP3 battery and everytime his wet nose touched the terminals he set off at it. Fortunately he wasn’t daft enough to eat it or it would have a hefty vets bill.

Rob

• 5 months later...

That particular generator is not suitable. It is not rated for continuous use (see extract from product description).

/media/tinymce_upload/1398cf8987310e945a067a4c6c5c150f.jpg

However, since I raised this particular thread a couple of years ago. Near equivalent ION Generators have become more widely available in the UK (negating the need to import from Australia). At the time of my original article (2017), the Australian product was the only suitable product available from anywhere.

Link 1

20,000 volts 5 Watts (will drain a battery fairly quickly, but is a nearer equivalent, output voltage wise to the Australian model).

Link 2

6,000 volts - note that this one is <1W power compared top the one above, but physically smaller if space is tight and with longer battery life. But with half the voltage output of the Australian version.

For comaprison, the Australian model output is 12,000 volts for a measley 9VDC at 20mA input (0.2W). So a high output with long battery life. The Australian one is still in my honest opinion the most optimum technically specified model to choose.

The key search term to use to find these items is "Negative ION Generator". Wheras the item in your Amazon link was an Invertor Spark Generator, which appears to be something completely different.

Yes that is the same product as my 'Link 1' product, but just a bit more expensive. And yes you could run from any 12 volt DC supply with a minimum continuously rated 0.5A output or better. I would recommend a minimum 1A power supply to ensure that the PSU is not stressed in any way.

0.5A came from Current = Wattage / Voltage = 5W / 12 volts = 5/12 = 0.4167 Amps rounded up to 0.5A

Where 5W is the power rating specified in the product description.

PS - The "Inverter Spark Generator" in your previous Amazon link. I would say is something that could be used for example as a 'spark igniter' on a Gas Hob.

Good info there!

thanks for your help, if possible could you re-enable your construction pdf, as the link doesn’t seem to be working now.

ive ordered the one from Amazon, I know it’s a bit more expensive but I do get next day delivery at the moment and I can always return it easily if it doesn’t work.

Looking forward to this project  😎

I've just tested the link to my constructional PDF (Page 1 of this thread 3rd post up from the bottom) and it works for me. When the page opens, you have to click the PDF file name in the top left corner to actually open the download 'what to do' dialogue pop-up box.