Understanding voltage

LTE

Hi, My son is interested in getting into Scalextric and doing some research.  The UK seems to have a lot more options, and also a lot more cheaper.  If I get a UK 220V voltage digital set, what do I need to do to adapt it to be usable in US 110V?  Would the performance be affected?  appreciate any insights!

Thanks

Probably not the best place to ask such a question. Many power supply units will accept voltages in a range of 100 to 250V and use the electronics to convert those supplies to the regulated output. So check the power supply unit and if it does accept the range required  all you do is put an UK to US adapter on the plug. If the power Supply does not have the range then you would need either a replacement power supply unit or a step up transformer to convert the US to a UK voltage. Bottom line is the output should be regulated but I could not tell you if there is going to be some variation in the Voltage or Ampage available. So having the supply pass through meters to measure the supplies would seem appropriate.

Edit:

You just made me think of the cheap meter I use to check USB outputs, while it is not calibrated it tells me the voltage and ampage being drawn and at least I can compare different supplies using the same meter.

In the end you may even find a variation across the UK and depending on the waya supply is delivered to a property. So if you want to be particular you would need some probably expensive gear to ensure output is consistant. e.g. put six high powered digital cars on running at full power and it is quite possible the standard supplies would not be able to cope!

Archived