Chuff rate speed with TTS

tnttrucker

One problem solved and now I have another one.

I know Hornby TTS decoders are not all singing and dancing but, is there a way to change or increase the chuff speed with TTS steam decoders. I have a china made Ringfield tender drive loco that does not require a great deal of throttle/power to get in moving so the chuff rate seems rather slow in comparison.

Could I put a resistor in series with the motor to increase load perhaps?

The chuff rate is what it is - factory set and not user adjustable.

You could try the other motor algorithm to see if it better matches the ring field motor - CV150 see the TTS Leaflet.

Rob

Hello again Rob,

I have already tried that and it turns it into a greyhound. It looks like I will have to live with it but I will try a resistor just so I can see the effect of it when I get to maplins again.

BEJ

Bearing in mind the decoder will have to bear the load of this resistor, where did you envisage installing it and what resistance and wattage did you have in mind.

If in the pickup side it will interfere with the DCC signal. If in the motor side it will affect the PWM output.

With this info we can apply Ohms law but how it deals with PWM to the motor from the decoder remains to be seen.

DCC is not the same as common or garden straight DC.

Rob

If you are insistent on trying a resistor, then be aware of the following:

Any resistor wattage value will need to be calculated from Ohms Law. Putting in a standard 1/4 Watt type resistor will burn out in seconds.

Purely as an example: A resistor that is dropping 6 volts across it whilst passing 250mA will generate 1.5 Watts from Ohms Law [ Watts = Voltage x Current ]. I would suggest doubling that to a 3 Watt resistor to provide a safety margin. You will need somewhere to put the resistor where the considerable heat generated will not scorch other nearby wiring and components. A resistor generating 1.5 Watts will be too hot to touch for long without burning fingers. A 3 Watt resistor is still generating 1.5 Watts but will feel cooler as there is a larger surface area to dissipate the heat. As to the Ohmic value of the resistor, that can only realistically be done through experimentation. Like Rob above, I am not convinced of the soundness of the resistor idea.

Note that 3W resistors are relatively expensive and you might have to buy several of them in different values to try. The Ohmic value will be relatively small - see worked example below. The low Ohmic values involved, may make the resistors more difficult to source and more expensive as low value resistors usually have a more expensive 1% value tolerance rating.

Using the 6 volt drop whilst passing 250mA example above. The resistor Ohmic value needed to do that would be 24 Ohms from Ohms Law [ Resistance = Voltage divided by Current ].

PS - On a DCC model, the resistor would need to be on the motor side of the decoder. Putting it on the pickup side of the decoder will have very little effect and may even prevent the decoder from functioning correctly due to being presented with a lower DCC track voltage. This comment is pretty much what Rob was indicating in his post above, but put another way.

I have finally got hold of a "loose" Castle class TTS Decoder package.

There is a "delay" in the starting from rest, which is variable via CV, it is in the instructions (not here with me).

In this delay, the cylinder drain coacks hising sound is played, and according to the instructions, on standard settings, the loco should start to move about halfway through the hissing....

The actual start to move delay is the adjustable bit, and in the case of the BM Dukedog that I have shoehorned the TTS decoder into, it does seem to make a bit of difference.

It is a shame that there is not a CV setting for wheel diameter, as in a USA Digitrax Decoder we have.

(I think the Dukedog wheels are smaller diameter than the Castle....)

Interestingly, this (seemingly an entry level decoder) has both steam and diesel sounds, switchable by a CV change!

Interestingly, this (seemingly an entry level decoder) has both steam and diesel sounds, switchable by a CV change!

Maybe something to suggest for TTS retro Mk2 along with the wheel diameter adjustment.  If that adjustment could be incorporated as a CV then maybe chuff synch would be possible within limits.

CV201 is the start delay with a range of 0 to 70 or zero to 7 seconds, default is 2.5 seconds or value 25.

Rob

Sarah, I have the Castle TTS decoder notes in front of me........I can find no CV that switches between steam & diesel sounds........what are you referring to?........HB

Sarah, I have the Castle TTS decoder notes in front of me........I can find no CV that switches between steam & diesel sounds........what are you referring to?........HB

Digitrax decoder HB

Hi Sarahagain, just for information purposes, GWR 3300 and 3400, (Bulldog) class locos had 5 foot 8 inch diameter coupled wheels and 4073 (Castle) class locos, had 6 foot 8 and a half inches diameter coupled wheels.

Quite a difference!

Regards, Barry.

steam and diesel in one package - - does that mean that the diesel exhaust is used to boil the water to create the steam to drive the generator to make sparks for the electric traction motor?  😛

You been on the Xmas sherry Eric

Ah a pinnace, I remember them.  As part of a joint project with UK on an advanced sonobuoy design, UK gave us a pinnace to use on a test range. It did a great job for a number of years then promptly sank one off the East Coast.  No sherry or rum involved, best guess was some timbers discarded from the wharf where she was moored breached the hull at low tide.  Luckily there was a Navy vessel in the vicinity to take the crew off before she disappeared into the deep forever.

Archived