Table Size

rsparrow

OK,

I am Super excited I got my "son" the Arc Pro Platinum GT (C1374T) for his birthday. We need to build a table in the garage. I have a base that should be good for a big table and will build a plywood top. I know the base track needs at least 13'1" by 5' of space, what size should I make the table to have fun with a few track designs? 14' X 6'? Or is there a magic size if I go to use some of the expanction packs I might want to get in the future?

Also, what would you cover the plywood with to make it nice as we explore tracks we like. Once we figure things out we'll add the "landscape" and the rest but would like to cover the plywood with something that would be easy to build the track on top of.

Thanks,
R. Sparrow

P.S. Is there a document somewhere that shows the total size need for the 11 different track designs plus the expeaction pack designs?

arc pro is great

if you have the room get four 4x8 boards for 8 x 16 table

you can always cut them down if you find it is too much space

but if you plan to expand it will be great

however you may need grabbers to reach across track

(found here at hardware and drug stores)

you might think of putting down cardboard to smooth it out

and use no carpet on it

lastly keep track clean by keeping it covered when not in use

If you have kids you may want to check their reach before you put up a table wider than 4'. Anything wider than 6' needs grabbers even for adults and slows down the race when cars de-slot. Otherwise gorp's suggestion is great because there's a lot of room for expanding. I'm content with 4'x12'or16'.

If you got room for an L shape think about it. Makes for some alternative designs. 

For covering the tables I used fabric from Jo-Ann's Fabrics (usa). These types of stores sell by the yard and with coupons the fabric can be very cheap. The mentioned store has coupons for 50% off online, very frequently. Visit a store to see what feels right for you. Fabric folds easily over the table and you can get it nice and taught using a staple gun.

Initially I would suggest you play around with layouts so you can get an idea of what appeals to you. There are some "set" layouts that are worth looking at even if only to tweak. e.g. 

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/scalextric/sets-layouts

For instance the SL5 layout is in my opinion better if you reverse the overlapping loops at one end so that the crossroads is replaced with a bridge and the raised section now flat

In addition be aware of one or two very useful bits of track

C8200 are quarter straights at 87mm

C8236 is a short straight at 78mm

Using the above two oppersite each other can align many freestyle layouts to get the track to meet as used in parallel it moves one track section 9mm along more than the other. The half straight C8207 used with either can also help a lot.

If you use guardrails, nope.

Some use Ninco's fencing if you go over the edge of the table to prevent any sky diving.

In most cases though regular guardrails are enough... and a pillow under the table in case they don't work. :-)

I plan on gluing some Carrera Go! fencing to standard guardrails as a cheaper, longer alternative but have not got round to it.

Not a bad idea Andy P , cheers. I am still using the balsa for straight sections but the foam rubber is great around corners , especially R1 hairpins or so I am finding. Much easier to curve the foam rubber than too carve out balsa.

I think I will be selling all my store bought run offs and guardrails.

It may be too late, but I bought the same kit and used the instructions at the link below to build two 4' x 8' tables in an L-shape and covered the plywood tops with homosote (soundboard) by gluing it on to prevent vibrations from transferring through the table.

I built the two tables into an L shape and bought extra track and track border to maximize space, and also to make it so my son (age 6) could reach the cars from any part of the track. Your mileage may vary but it works for us... I went through a dozen or so minor iterations of track design to arrive at the version you can see from the attached picture. Good luck!

https://www.hoslotcarracing.com/Construction.html

/media/tinymce_upload/e6fc7c31e7ebb5c53c06e2fcaff648b8.jpg

Archived