Fitting Hornby sound decoder to Castle Class

RDS

Still very new to this hobby and the Hornby forum so please bear with me.

I have a Kenilworth Castle Class loco to which I want to install a Hornby digital sound decoder. The DCC card fitted as standard is several millimetres smaller compared to the Hornby digital sound decoder. The original DCC Card is located in a slot within the main body weight. I have bought a new Castle Class body, less the weights, to alter rather than modify the original.

If possible I want to try to fit the larger card in the same area as the original DCC Card by cutting a slot in the plastic body where the weight normally fits. I also need to try to make a new weight possibly by casting one in lead. By doing this I will only then need to extend the two wires to the speaker in order to mount it in the tender.

Has anyone carried this modifiction and if so are my proposed steps logical. Finally does anyone know what the actual weight of the main weight is.

Thank you in advance of any help that can be given.

Regards

David

I have made up a harness with an 8-pin plug on one end that plugs into the existing loco socket and an 8-pin socket on the other end for mounting in the tender.

You can if required split this harness at a 4-pin loco to tender plug/socket if you only need the motor and pickup wires.

Rob

Dear All,

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments.

The reason I asked if anyone knew what the actual weight of the large cylindrical weight was because at the time I had not received the spare body. This part has now arrived so I can compare the weights of the original and spare body shells in order the obtain the weight details.

If I opt to follow the suggestion to locate the sound decoder in the tender can any member suggest where I can buy the 8 pin plug and socket parts plus the fine plastic coated wire from.

Thank in advance for any information you can provide

Kind regards David 

David, the plugs are a listed spare part in the Hornby store - remember you will need both parts and they come ready wired.

I think KC has a fairly shallow tender, in which case there is very little room for the decoder and the standard speaker - I would suggest you buy a small sugar cube speaker as a substitute - it will make the job easier and improve the sound.

David, the plugs are a listed spare part in the Hornby store - remember you will need both parts and they come ready wired.

I think KC has a fairly shallow tender, in which case there is very little room for the decoder and the standard speaker - I would suggest you buy a small sugar cube speaker as a substitute - it will make the job easier and improve the sound.

Dear Steve, thank you for your help. Kind regards David

Archived