Class 89 Prototype

Rew

I would love to see an RTR model of the class 89 Co-Co 25Kv electric locomotive.  In it's life, now preserved, it worked on the West Coast Mainline on test and allocated to the East Coast with Mk4 stock, carrying both IC Swallow and GNER livery.  How about a GNER train pack with Mk4's.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd buy one even if it's made to Hornby's Railroad spec... But as mentioned already it's more likely to come from Heljan (who now seem to be fixated on O gauge).

But Hornby if you're listening... the Railroad range could do with a few more.  😉

If no one does one in RTR form in the next 3 years, I'll just design and do one myself.

Will need injection moulding JB to make them viable and cheapo overseas production and parts or a top of the price range super fast  commercial 3D printer.

Well for a one off model for myself 3D printing is more than sufficient.

However if there's demand for a Class 89, then I already have a place to do injection moulding for me in Bangalore, India. Though to get it at a good price it would have to be a model with the level of detail that inbetween Railroad and full spec and the basic design of the chassis would need to be along the lines of the Hornby (ex-Lima) Class 67 i.e. simple frame for a chassis with a centrally mounted motor, flywheels etc. A cast metal chassis would be much to expensive here.

These 'one off' prototypes can be economically risky for the mainstream manufacturers so your best bet may indeed be a 3D print. Some of the one-off diesels have done reasonably well (Lion and Falcon, and the LMS twins) but whether an electric would do as well is open to debate, after all there are still gaps in the range for first generation AC electrics already (No moderrn AL1, nor AL2, AL3 AL4 at any stage).

Then what about the elusive Gas Turbines  18000, 18100 and GT3?

If you do decide to go down the injection route then people will need spare bodies, other spares for it and a servicable motor you can change the brushes on. A manufacturer that does spare loco bodies, stocks spares and uses motors that you can service will do well. 

A service sheet is also a must have. A basic detail model with all the super fragile super detail fally off bits in a bag might be a good idea too. That way you have a robust loco which can simply be made super fragile(detail) by adding the parts in the bag that comes with the model).

• 2 years later...

One off's and small classes still seem to attract a lot of interest, although not necessarily from me.  

Surprisingly the early diesel classes, one offs and odd prototypes have been quite well covered.

-  LMS/BR 1600 hp Co-Co - Rails / Bachmann also Dapol

- EE DP1 3300hp Deltic Prototype - NRM / Bachmann

- BR/SR 1750hp 1Co-Co1 - Kernow / Dapol (proposed)

- EE DP2 2700hp Co-Co - Heljan

- BRCW 2750 hp Co-Co 'Lion' - Heljan

- Brush 2800 hp Co-Co 'Falcon' - Heljan

- Brush 3946hp Co-Co  'Kestrel'  - Heljan

- BR Crewe 8P 4-6-2 'Duke of Gloucester' - Hornby

- LNER Doncaster W1 4-6-2-2  - Hornby (proposed as original and as rebuilt) 

I understand GT3 2750hp  2-C gas turbine, and the BR Fell 2-D-2 / 2-B-B-2 diesel mechanical are projected new models

A few more that could be considered include -

NBL 827 hp Bo-Bo

Brown Boveri 2450hp A1A-A1A gas turbine,

Metro Vic 3000 hp Co-Co gas turbine

SR/EE 1470 hp Co-Co third rail electric (two body types)

NER 1800hp 2-C-2 overhead wire electric EE1

NER 640hp Bo-Bo overhead wire electric ES1

Midland Railway 0-10-0  'Lickey Banker'

GER 0-10-0T 'Decapod'

SR 0-6-6-0T 'Leader'

LMSR 4-6-2 8P Steam Turbine 'Turbomotive'

LMSR 4-6-0 6P 'Fury'

GWR 4-6-2  'Great Bear';

The class 89 has been available as a resin body kit for some time now and when introduced it needed the version of the hornby class 58 chassis that was produced at the time to complete. I'm not sure if it was DC kits or Silver Fox that introduced it originally. I did consider getting one early on as I has a spare 58 but never got one in the end. I have seen a completed model that was finished to a very high standard And looked great. 

• 3 months later...

Well looks like a well known retailer and the Irish boys have announced their intentions to make a Class 89. Another one off the list. Brilliant!!

What is a little disappointing though was the fact that my team mate - Hayley just spent the best part of one month designing a highly detailed Class 89 kit. And all in all the kit was far cheaper than what's to come. It is what it is though.