Railmaster points control problem

Happy new year to all
I am having problems activating my points whilst on Railmaster.
I have read previous comments and followed all advice without success.
The History is, I am using an Elite controller on standard mode V1.4 which controls all

my points Ok yet when on Railmaster they will not work.
I have 4 x R8216 decoders operating 13 points as numbered below:
Controller 1 = 61.62.63.64
Controller 2 = 69.70.71.72
Controller 3 = 73.74.75.76
Controller 4 = 77
I set up a test point

on Railmaster & numbered it 64 but no success.
Have I ommitted to carry out anything else?
Any assistance would be much appreciated but please bear in mind I am a novice and still but willing to learn.
Thanx in advance
Don R

Any

further assistance would be greatly appreciated

I take it they work on the Elite alone? ( without Railmaster)

Was there some reason why the numbering is 61 - 64 ( Is this something to do with the Select controller?)

I have only the R8247 point controllers and have numbered mine.

Controller

1 = 1.2.3.4
Controller 2 = 5.6.7.8

So, when defining a point in Railmaster, I just set Controller A port 1 - 8 for each point.

Steve

Hi Don

I have no direct experience of these decoders as I always have used the R8247 one, but I can't see why not. If I remember correctly the reason why the numbering had to start at 61 was because of the Select controller. ( But I may be wrong)

Well

it can't do any harm to try it! have a go and see if the Elite flashes a bit when you reset the decoder.

A bit of flashing and clicking is always a good sign - just make sure the connections to the programming track are ok. If you have a meter you should

see it power when activated by the Elite.

Steve

Hi Don,
I would be interested in seeing if you are successfull in programming your point decoders with your Elite V1.4. I have just recieved two of the R8247 point decoders, i set one up as No.1 (ports 1-4) and connected 4 points to it and got that

all going ok. Later i managed to finally update my Elite to V1.4 (was V1.3) and tried to set up my second R8247. All i got was about 15 red flashes on the Elite which indicates the decoder has not accepted or has not been given the correct information. If

successful you should get 5-7 red flashes if not you will get more than 8!!. In desperstion i reflashed my Elite back to V1.3 and was successfull in setting up the second decoder and connecting another 4 points to it. I have an XP pro pc with a touch screen

running Railmaster V1.3 and it all seems to work as it should.

I also, seem to have a problem with a couple of R8216 decoders. They appear not to want to work under v1.4 and re-programming appears to be successful with regard to the number of flashes but isn't, either when controlled by Railmaster or the Elite. Anyone

else having this problem?

• 1 month later...
Dear All,

I am really frustrated trying to get my 8216 Point Controllers working with Elite running v1.3.

I have set up a test track running a single Peco Point Motor. The 8216 will programme correctly but when trying to activate the point,

nothing happens. I have set the point address to read 1

I am not using Railmaster yet just direct from the Elite unit with a single 8216 unit.

Appreciate any advise from anyone out there.

Thanks
Andrew

I would like to add that I am also operating a 'conversion' layout originally operated with the Select. I have 3 point decoders operating from 61 to 71. However I have 2 point motors connected to 3 of the outputs (61,70 and 71)such that they are always

required to operate together. This has worked without any problems with the Select. On purchasing an Elite and connecting this up I found that I had to reprogramme the decoders from the Elite which was straightforward as I wired them originally through an

additional home made control box and each decoder was connected via phono plugs. I kept the same numbering 61 to 71 as I have little white gradient posts next to each bearing the point number. When Railmaster was installed and the layout called up at startup

the system went round checking all the points as it said it would. From that screen layout the points operate correctly by clicking on the red/green 'buttons' and the direction (blue) changes as it should. I have a programme working very successfully. The

only problem that occured was when the Select was attached to the Elite. Arbitory point motors fired when trying to select a point. Don't need to but thought I'd try it. Select can call up locos and run them on branch lines etc even with a programme running.

I find it great and so does my 10 year old grandson. (He's quicker at picking it all up than me!) Good luck to you all. Stick with it.
JohnS

Hi
Remember that when addressing R8247 point and accessory decoders with the Elite you first need to set CV513 in accordance with the instructions (somewhere on this site, which I can't put my finger on, or should that be mouse).
This sets the box

into group addressing mode, which means that if you give this box address 1, it allocates points addresses 1, 2, 3 & 4 automatically.
Do the same again for box 2 as address 2 and it allocates points adddresses 5 to 8, and so on for more boxes in groups

of 4 points.
Maybe HCC could post the R8247 instructions as a sticky on this forum please.
Robbie

Steve
No reason you should have to reset the Elite after updating it. All you will achieve is losing any loco names, favourite lists, etc.
Re acc decoder addressing - follow the instructions, by setting cv513 this puts the decoder into Group Addressing

mode, then address 1 will set points 1 to 4, address 2 will set points 5 to 8, etc.
Robbie

Steve
No reason you should have to reset the Elite after updating it. All you will achieve is losing any loco names, favourite lists, etc.
Re acc decoder addressing - follow the instructions, by setting cv513 this puts the decoder into Group Addressing

mode, then address 1 will set points 1 to 4, address 2 will set points 5 to 8, etc.
Robbie

Archived