TTS Lighting?

Wobblinwheel

I have a recent-release Hornby A4 model "Golden Eagle". When installing a Sapphire decoder (big mistake, by the way) into the tender, I noticed it appeared to have provision for speaker and sound. I would guess ideally for the TTS system (?) I am very interested in trying out the TTS A4 kit, but am also interested in putting a "firebox flicker" in the cab. Can I do that with the TTS? I think I read that it has "lighting functions", but not sure what possible variations there are. Ideas?

No Firebox flicker support is inbuilt with TTS decoders. They do have an Aux function output which gives a permanent voltage when the appropriate function is enabled, but no CV flicker option to modify it. This does not stop you using a self contained flickering LED, connected to the on /off function, in the firebox though.

If it is, you can always dim it down by increasing the value of the current limiting resistor. Values between 3,000 and 6,000 ohms are typically required to dim a LED (normal one that is).

If you want a cheap flicker device then mount a tea light flicker led in series with the one you put in the fire box, when the tea light operates the fire box one will flicker randomly. I used this method to make a oxycelalene effect in my engine shed. Tea lights are 3 for a £ in a pound land complete with batteries. Play around with resistors to give the brightness you want apply paint to the dome to dull it down.

Mike,

Wobbly is a USA forum member. No guarantee that flickering tea lights are available there. Probably no £Land either, unless it is called 'OneBuckLand'. 😀

Thanks for all the help, guys, but now I might have to "drop back ten and punt" (old football saying) on the whole TTS idea. After seeing some videos, and having some discussion about the "chuffs-per-revolution" on the TTS decoder, I don't know if I can get with the idea of only ONE chuff per driver revolution at slow speed. An A4 is supposed to have SIX, being a three cylinder engine. I might even settle for four! I don't think a steam locomotive could even operate with one chuff per revolution! I have to do better than that...! I guess the kit, being designated "A4", means it only has an A4 WHISTLE? The chuffs don't matter...? I honestly don't think programming a few extra chuffs would make it a bit more expensive!

Going back to the OP

installed a Sapphire (bad idea) in the tender

I wonder why, as the Sapphire has the ability to apply lighting special effects including flicker, strobe, flash, etc, hence seems well suited to the task.

Rob

To me, the sapphire has too many features that are totally useless, and not enough "usable" ones, such as a function-controlled "shunting" mode, or a programmable "braking" function, as so many much cheaper decoders have. It does have really good motor control, but that's about it. The firebox flicker can be found on any $15.00 Digitrax decoder! 

From what I can see, the US decoder market is completely different from the UK one. For example, none of the UK RTR models I have come across have any 'Hall Effect' wheel inputs to synchronise chuffs. WW can prove me wrong on this, but I believe using 'Halls' is more common in the US. Flicker and smoke support also seems to be more common as standard in the US too.

Archived