Select Forward/Reverse won't change

Nictor

Have an early version of the Hornby Select that I am messing about with whilst building my layout. Read the bit about correcting locomotive direction. Says to press and hold the unlit direction key for 1 second. LCD will display Fd or rd for one second. The red LED will flash twice. Press the unlit direction key. Green LED will illuminate, move control knob to move the loco.

Tried this and nothing happens. The version must be the second as the LCD shows 12 then 30 on startup.  Any ideas and please don't everybody start telling to get a better controller, I have one, boxed and will be used once the layout is more advanced. For now, the Select is fine for messing about - just wonder why it does not re-program F/R movement as per the mmanual.

The version 1.2 Select manual is very poorly written with regard to locomotive control and can easily be miss-read. The actual control method for a loco is not actually written in the manual so I have written it out long hand below. If it had been in the manual then I would have posted a screen shot of the appropriate text.

The section of the manual you have quoted from (page 12) on the Select version 1.2 manual. Is for correcting a loco that goes the wrong way. That is to say, if it goes backwards when all the other locos go forwards (is that what you are trying to do). It is not the method you use to normally control (drive) a loco in forward or reverse direction (I think that is what you are actually trying to do, but I may be wrong and my apologies in advance for doubting the meaning of your post if I am).

To control a loco using Select version 1.2 firmware and make it go back and forth.

Enter the loco address you want to control on the keypad then press the "Select" button. Only DCC addresses in the range 01 to 59 are valid addresses. The loco must be pre-configured with one of these addresses before you can do this.

To select the direction to travel, press either the 'left arrow' or the 'right arrow' key as appropriate (just a short press, it is not necessary to press and hold).

If the loco address has been correctly selected and the loco is correctly configured to that address, then it should move when the rotory knob is turned.

To change direction.

Use the rotory knob to bring the loco to a standstill, then short press the other arrow key. Now turning the rotory knob should make the loco move in the other direction.

Once a loco is moving in the direction and speed you want, you can now call up a different loco with a different loco address using the keypad followed by the 'Select' key and control that loco instead. Then the same again for a third loco and so on.

Once you have called up more than one loco, you can use the 'Select' key to toggle between them (a quick loco address call up short cut). This saves time, as you don't have to select the loco addresses individually again for each different loco

Thanks but it is the first part I need. Driving backwards and forwards, changing loco selects, no problem. However, I have one diesel that I want to change its chipped direction i.e. Instead of going one way I want it to go the other way. I want it to move forward at the end the fan is on the left-hand direction key. If I place it on the track facing left, fan end left it will only go left via the right direction key! I want to switch the direction as per the manual instructions - Locomotive Control & Direction page 12.

Unfortunately I don't have a Select, and if you are following the instructions exactly as written and it is not working, then I cannot help further. Rob (RAF96) has access to a Select and probably 1.2 firmware as well. He may be in a position to test the function and offer practical guidance. I will send him a message and ask him to look at your question.

If all else fails, it may be easier to just revese the wires on the motor to make it go in the other direction.

Only got v1.5 on my Select. Changing versions means a trip back to Hornby and I doubt if they would/could revert it for me.

Looking at the version history v1.2 changed the way direction control was set and reading the early manual indicates you select the loco address of the errant loco and swap its default direction. This to me says it only changes that one loco not the whole fleet, so I dont know why you cant get it to do that per the book.

I just looked at your original post and you appear to have missed out pressing zero, then arrow keys, see here

/media/tinymce_upload/1124c1d7eff63f05f67c3927491e84e6.jpg

Rob

I have a Select (earliest version) but I cannot try it at the moment.

However, to change to a different direction I used to just press the relevant button, nothing more complicated than that and the relevant direction light came on.

I have just plugged in my old Select.........it is version1.1........it is very simple to change direction, I just press the arrow key,. left or right which lights the corresponding green light.........it is actually controlling, on my test track, a Bachmann Patriot fitted with an Econami sound decoder and runs back and forth perfectly........functions operate 3 whistles and chuff.........HB

You are right. My manual is slightly different on page 12. I did not miss the 0 bit out because it's not there. 

1) Ensure the locomotive is stationary.

2)Press and hold the unlit direction key. (< or >)

Put everything away now for the night but I will give it a go tomorrow.

I have just plugged in my old Select.........it is version1.1........it is very simple to change direction, I just press the arrow key,. left or right which lights the corresponding green light.........it is actually controlling, on my test track, a Bachmann Patriot fitted with an Econami sound decoder and runs back and forth perfectly........functions operate 3 whistles and chuff.........HB

Yup, but we are not talking about changing the direction of the loco. We are talking about programming the chip so that left becomes right and vice versa. i.e. standard practice is for steam loco's to face left and therefore run left when the arrow is in that direction. If you have one that runs backwards when facing left and the left arrow is pressed you need to change it so that it is the other way around.

Nictor, after a bit more indepth research. It may very well be that the manual you are using for reference relates to Select firmware 1.1 whilst your start up display showing 12 indicates your Select is version 1.2

This can easily be confirmed, by using the later instructions Rob posted in a reply above (and I have reposted below a little larger so easier to see) where the zero key is used. If using the zero key method does work, then download the Select manual titled as version 1.4 from the manual download page. This manual states on page 5 that it covers all Select versions from 1.2.

/media/tinymce_upload/cfe155001eb3b274b28e707a0d23d14f.jpg

Assuming this alternative method works, I would be very interested to know if the direction change to the loco sticks. That is to say, is the direction change still functional after a system power down and reboot. Or do you have to reinstate it for this particular loco each time you power up the Select.

SORTED. I can confirm that pressing 0 works and that once a direction has been changed it remains the same after a power down or reboot. Added that bit to my manual. Tried it on several locos, not all Hornby chipped and it was the same with each.  Thanks everybody for the help.

Great news.........Have you downloaded the 1.2 to 1.4 Select manual. There may be other things that operate differently on your Select as well, which your 1.1 paper manual doesn't document accurately. The fact that the setting is retained infers that the Select is writing to Bit 0 in CV29 on the decoder.

Nictor, maybe you can help us with some more info. Assuming you have had your Select from new i.e straight from the Hornby factory via a retailer and not via a previous owner. Then was your Select ever upgraded to firmware 1.2 from version 1.1 Of course, if you bought it second hand, then it is more likely the previous owner had it upgraded during their period of ownership.

The paper manual you have got appears to be version 1.1, and Rob and I are trying to work out if your Select was shipped new to you at firmware version 1.2 but with a 1.1 paper manual.

Now going to confuse you. I bought it second hand. It apparently belonged to an elderly modeller who had bought it to try DCC but decided he could not get on with it. On that basis I would be almost certain he bought it with 1.2 installed as I doubt he would have sent a 1.1 back for an upgrade. The manual I have came with it. 

I bought it probably around Sept 2013 There is a sticker on the back with some reference numbers

SK101-89065 & R8213-11-265   if that helps.

Archived