track spacing

Wellwhynot

just been reading some posts about track laying and it seems there is a recomended spacing of 67mm why is this so important, and if i lay a smaller oval inside a larger one do i use a mutiple of this measurement depending on what radii curves i use,( hope this makes sence)

So when you look at the track planner Wwn, you’ll see that the 4 standard radii are each 67mm bigger/smaller than the next track radius. And clearly designed so that there is sufficient spacing between radius 1 and radius 2.  But you will need less spacing between 3 and 4 as there is less overhang on the lesser curves.  Which probably explains why Peco streamline points geometry is based on 50mm spacing, if I remember this correctly?

This question of longer overhang is  a real issue. On my layout the station has tightly curved platforms but still set so that Bullied 64', and BR Mark 1 coaches clear them. My Railroad Blue Rapier is also OK. However my grand-son fetched his Hornby Pendolino over to run it and it immediately fouled all platforms and would not pass. The curve is about 30" radius quite tight but it does illustrate how difficult this can be. I am generally using Peco's 50mm spacing but there is just one spot where there is occasional slight contact between passing trains where the spacing may be a couple of mm out, but as it just after the station I don't have a lot of leeway.

I had a plan to put each radius curve on a master board and run the inside centre and outside ends tracking of each and every loco/rolling stock item in my fleet to use as a definitive no-go area for track laying and scenery.

It never happened, likely never will.

Maybe tomorrow my friend as they say here.

Rob

Archived