Power connection failure

allan07

Silly question time, Returned to the hooby after a long time, So I purchased a basic DCC set, my problem is that ddc connection to the track, try as I might I cannot get power into the track, My Question is do I really need this in my life or can I solder the power straight to the track. thanks in advance Allan

Look underneath a piece of straight track and you will see an arrow showing where the power connector slots in. View the track side on and you will see the slots. Getting the the pronged clip in correctly is a bit of an art.

You can as you say solder the wires to the outside of the rails.

Rob

Set came with the R8241, but it never seemed to work. Thanks for the replies, I have soldered the wires to two fishplates and its working fine. Seemed like a silly basic question to ask, totally new to this DCC thing 

Hi Allan, glad you got it working.  For future reference when making connections, it’s better for various reasons to solder to the rails, as was recommended to you, rather than the fishplates. 

Also, strange the power track didn’t work, sounds like it might be faulty and could be returned for replacement under warranty if so.

You can buy fishplates with wires soldered to them but soldering to the rails is generally better as most power transmission problems when using single track connectors (like slide in clips or power rails) is due to fishplates becoming loose and failing to reliably pass current, so you can see soldering to fishplates doesn’t overcome that problem whereas soldering to the rails does, leading you towards soldering to every rail section then logically linking these wires into a power bus.

Rob

Archived