New 1950-1970 age aircraft.

TheLegend27

I have always been an avid supporter of Airfix with their wide range of kits. Their new-tools are great and their old kits still hold up, but isn't it time for a change? Personally I think a new-tooled 1/72 CF-100 or new 1/72 Vampire mk. 5 would be very cool. Maybe even aircraft from the Vietnam War like an 1/72 A-6 or even a 1/72 f7f Tigercat from the Korean War. Just a suggestion so it would be interseting to see what others think.

Well, I'm not sure how well known the Clunk is outside its native Canada, and have a feeling the Tigercat got over-shadowed by early jets.

A Vampire mk5 offers vast potential for different markings, and with a separate runner holding the tailbooms and elevator could be offered as most main production single-seaters with minimal extra parts/tooling.

The Spad is also likely to be generally popular, more in 1/72, particularly since most of the tooling differences for USAF and USN versions are in the weapons fits.

This is the classic era for jets. A 1/72 Hunter would be fantastic as not everyone will be able to run to the 1/48, but there are also the Buccaneer, Sea Vixen, Vulcan, Vampire, Venom, Canberra and Comet - at least we have a decent Lightning. And that is just the British aircraft. Lots of interesting MiGs and a huge array of US jets.  And then helicopters and not forgetting the ground forces and Navies (Ark Royal/Eagle/Victorious, Albion/Bulwark/Centaur/Hermes and the beginnings of the supercarrier). This is a great era all round.

The 50's and 60's seem to be a favourite area for Airfix over the last few years, especially British aircraft (Lightning, Swift, Victor, Valiant, Gnat, Jet Provost, Vampire Trainer, Shackleton all in 1/72), so I should think that a few more from this era could be expected (hoped for) in the coming years. Some more helicopters from this age would be welcome though (Wessex, Whirlwind, Scout, Wasp, Skeeter, Belvedere etc).

Unfortunately for anyone who prefers 1/72, Airfix seem to be moving more and more to 1/48, good for some but not for me.

As for American or Russian aircraft from this period, they have only really done the F-86 & A-4 lately, but I agree a Spad would be wonderful, and there is the opportunity to give it Royal Navy markings if an AEW option is included. Airfix only seem to do American aircraft if a possibility of British markings are available, or if a British adversary used it (Argentine A-4).

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of people have been crying out for a 1/72 Wasp for ages. The Wessex is already covered by good Italeri/Revell mouldings in 1/72 and 1/48 so not much room in the market. Now a UH-1 (or HU-1 if you prefer the old notation) would be good - especially with added loudspeakers.

Now what about some of the Interceptor designs from the 1950s (check out RAF Secret Jets from Key Publishing - some impressive, weird and wonderful looking aircraft there) and there are lots of interesting US Jets from the 50s from Shooting Stars to Cougars and more, along with the carrier based Strategic Bombers like the Skywarrior, Jet/Prop hybrid AJ-1/2 Savage or the almost insane B-58 Hustler or even XB-70 Valkyrie Mach 3 Bomber. There were also some imressive experimental aircraft (X-1, X-15, Fairey Deltas, Miles M-51, a Jet Powered Flying Boat - can't recall the designation off the top of my head).

This was a great period for aviation, generally in the shadow of WW2 or 'contemporary' subjects when model making became established and just missed these aircraft (and vehicles, cars and ships)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul B

Agreed; that period was quite an experimental period, with lots of wierd and wonderfull idear spome of which eventually grew into some of the most successful aircraft of the 60's and 70's like the current Airfix release of the Phantom. this can be traced back to the Panther/ Cougar then to the Tiger, then to the Voodoo and finally the Phantom. Yes I know the the early ones were Grumman and the others were McDonnell but the linnerage is unmistakeable.

Personally I'd love to see some subjects of that other great period of experimentation and innovation; the between war years; the mid to late 20's to the late 30's when so many great aircraft were produced that laid the ground-work for most of the successful aircraft of WW2. About all we get from that era is the ever popular DC 3; Airfix in the past have covered some of these aircraft but now seemed to have forgotten them, but if they must stick with the Spitfire / Mosquito themes, why not cover the aircraft that made them possible like the Supermarine S 6 B and the DH 88 Comet or the DH Albatros. Maybe that last one is asking a bit too much, but the 20's & 30's does offer such rich picking fro the sublime to the  ridiculous. Like Heathers Amiot 143 in the Latest Acquistions post.The sublime being the Amiot 350 series of bombers. Err! Sorry Airfix don't do French aircraft do they.

Remember we do this for fun                                 John the Pom

Archived