Select Controller (Firmware update - How To).

Guest Chrissaf

As it starts up you will see three pairs of numbers...

the first pair denote the revision state, ranging 10 (v1.0) to 15 (latest v1.5).

ignore the other numbers.

v1.5 allows you to use all sound functions, earlier versions you can only use 9 functions.

Call Hornby Customer Care on the number at the bottom of the screen to arrange to have it updated if necessary. There is a charge for the update.

Once updated you need to download the latest user manual as the update changes several ways of using the controller.

Rob

Look at the LCD screen when the Select powers up. A sequence of three numbers will appear xx followed by 30 followed by 03. The xx denotes the Select firmware version and will be a number between 10 and 15 (currently). The older the Select is, the lower the number will be. If it displays 10 (version 1.0) then an upgrade is definitely an essential consideration. If the intention is to operate TTS Sound DCC locos (perhaps in the future), then you really do need the number to be 15 (version 1.5).

The firmware update can only be done by Hornby as a return to Hornby process. In some circumstances, Hornby will perform the update 'free of charge' but even if deemed a chargeable service by Hornby it is currently a very reasonable one off charge of £15 plus your cost of posting to Hornby (Hornby pay the return postage out of the £15 charge).

To get a quote and a returns authorisation for the update work, you have to contact Hornby Customer Services. See the 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of this page.

EDIT: Typing at the same time as Rob, but he saved his post first. And as Rob says, download the later Select manual as the operation methodology changes with the later firmware versions.

PS - Topic title updated to make future searches more effective.

Note that I am not the author of this starter post by 'David T' that has been resurrected from 2018. My ID appears against this thread as an error in the forum transfer. This note left as an edit Sep 2021.

Hi, my friend is setting up a DCC layout using a Select controller supplied with an Hornby set, he has had this set a few years now never used , we were wondering if the controller requires any "upgrades " to get best use out of it ?

If so how do we get it upgraded etc?

Thank you for any advice.

David T

• 3 years later...

Hi all, don't mean to dredge up an old topic, but I just got a select controller with a set for my son, and the firmware is on V1.1 from what it says on bootup (11) appears in the screen.

From the last discussions here, it seems V1.5 is the last known version. Is it worth sending mine off for an update?

It would be nice to know if there have been any release notes that have been issued with the releases until now....

Found this on another forum, hopefully it's not considered plagiarism, but instead a useful piece of info.

Select Firmware Release Notes:

Version 1.0 - Initial release. Point and accessory addresses start at 60 in order to use all groups of four up to last address 99. Able to control functions 0-4.

Version 1.1 - Point and accessory addresses now start at 61 through 99 to accord with NMRA addressing groups. Users upgrading from v1.0 should readdress all their points and accessory addresses to the new system. Able to control functions 0-8. Able to program on the main (POM).

Version 1.2 - Start up screen shows revision state. Improved throttle interface. Changes to setting up default direction switching. Resume operations after a power down/restart.

Version 1.3 - Programming improved for ESU Loksound v4.0 sound decoders.

Version 1.4 - Minor update to correct function control issues.

Version 1.5 - Major system upgrade to extend function range 0-28 in support of sound decoders. Change to function methodology.

Those would be the notes I posted in various places.

This is the note about latest Select update.

Version 1.6 - Major system update to allow CV’s to be changed and provide improved overload protection. Addendum to the user manual produced.

Note that v1.6 is functionally the same as v2.0 installed on late 2019 facelift versions of the Select.

For more information download the v1.5 manual and the addendum covering v1.6.

• Thanks 1

96RAF, thanks for that, will download the manuals.

I'm going to need a DC controller while the Select is sent away, will find one on eBay. Do I need a transformer to go with the DC controller or can I use the Select transformer with the analog controller? (And I will remove the DCC points clips before using the DC controller)

If your locos are DCC fitted you will need to remove the decoders and replace with blanking plugs while you are running them on a DC layout.

Not necessarily. DCC locos will usually run well on a a dc layout, depending on what type of dc controller is being used and whether dc running has been disabled in the decoder.

You should not run a dc loco on DCC as this can cause overheating of the motor.

What is the default decoder setting for DC Running?

Bit 2 in the eight bit byte of CV29 set to a value of 1 enables DC running.

In English, CV29 set to a value of 6 is the default DC enabled value for CV29 that sets Bit 2 as 1.

But there are other valid CV29 values that also set Bit 2 to 1. Research CV29 to understand its structure and how to convert Bit patterns into decimal CV number values using the link below.

DCC CV29 Calculator

I'm going to need a DC controller while the Select is sent away, will find one on eBay. Do I need a transformer to go with the DC controller or can I use the Select transformer with the analog controller? (And I will remove the DCC points clips before using the DC controller).

Hornby's turn around for the upgrade (once you have a returns number and follow the correct process) is typically less than a week. Thus IMO it is not worth temporarily reverting to DC. Without knowing the model of DC controller you might source, your other questions are impossible to answer. Most Hornby DC controllers use an input Power Pack that is 19 volts DC not 15 volts (Select). The DC connector used on the Select is also larger than those used on the DC controllers, this prevents Digital controller power packs being used on non Digital controllers. Some older Hornby DC controllers only work with an AC power input. So the bottom line is that the chance of the Select power supply working with a DC controller you source is very low indeed.

If you remove the DCC power clips and only use a single DC controller, then subject to your layout design. You are likely to end up with large sections of dead unpowered track.

I recommend patience being used and just wait the short turn around period for the upgraded Select to be returned.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes there is a hardware difference between the pre-facelift and post-facelift PIC chips, hence why versions 1.6 and 2.0 although functionally identical have been given different v-numbers so that in future if development twixt the two motherboards varies then so will the individual firmware versions.

• 4 weeks later...

@ chalky

Good idea but . . .

The Select does not have a computer interface, so even with the update hex file downloaded to your PC you cannot get it onto the Select without some additional kit.

forum_image_6177b220498fe.png.8739da2cd6cc9947caca1bad48e86c8f.png

There is also the fact that to connect this kit you need a bespoke patch cable and you have to open the Select case for access to the motherboard header, then depending upon its build date you may have to desolder a write-protect jumper before you can write the update file to the Select PIC chip.

forum_image_6177b221d8620.png.4d00fb940684e8e917766e40098ccd45.png

The task is not onerous and takes about 30 minutes end to end but without the kit, the associated software and the all important hex file you are dead in the water.

If the Select could be made wireless then there is the remote possibility of being able to do an update over the air (OTA) similar to HM | DC updates but that is pie in the sky at present.

The sensible way forward would be to give a Hornby agent in OZ a set of kit and training to do the job locally.