help please (reverting DCC back to DC operation)

Guest Chrissaf

Looking back on your previous posts you are asking how to revert TTS and other DCC locos back to DC operations.

Basically you don’t have to as they will happily run on DC as long as DC running is enabled in CV29, which you probably haven’t changed.

If you want to fully revert them all in order to sell on the decoders then its a simple matter of unplugging the decoder and speaker as applicable and installing a blanking plate available on-line or from your local model shop.

Rob

Please will some body advise me on the easiest way to change  TT2 DCC ,back to

basic d c ,

Am unable to get to grips with dcc .

thank you.

Interesting this thread. 

I changed to DCC because I could not be bothered to try to get to grips with DC.

I wanted to be able to control the Trains and not the Track.

It is worth noting that although I have RailMaster, I only use it to be able to run programs and therefore just be able to sit back and watch the Trains go by.

My main method of control is the Hornby Elite.

Hello RAF96 and RDS .Thanks for responding,  i like the thought of DCC  ,but unfortunatly i am

troubled with arthritic hands that shake all the time.

got 2 tracks so just want to convert 2 loco,s  back to dc ..the idea is to still play trains while trying

to find a way of using my ELITE, i havent got a clue how to do it ,but, hay ho, hope to get there.

alan

Hi Alan

Thank you for your reply.  I am very sorry to read of your health problem with your hands.  If you are able to use the Elite, i.e. turn the control knobs and press a few buttons then (in my opinion) you probably have the most versatile method of DCC control with the Elite.  (Obviously there are other controllers on the market but the Elite is the top of the Range Hornby one)

If you do want to persevere with the Elite and DCC, there are lots of members on the Forum who can help you master the basics.  Please don't be afraid to ask what may appear to you to be the simplest of questions.

I can assure you - we have all been there!

Likewise if you are going to convert back to DC, again help is here.  Personally I have extremely little knowledge about DC but again there are many members on here who can help.

Hi RDS.  your message has made me think about the benifits of reverting to DC .

Thing is my DC controllers  have slide knobs to control speed, thats easy to use, no buttons.

My ELITE has,as you know two knobs, which can be turned by almost brushing them round

with your finger, my main problem is hitting the buttons i am aiming for ,frustrating to say the least,

However. perhaps i am giving up to easy, some thing i have always done,

maybe thats why i learn nothing.     

alan

Hi Alan

That must be really disappointing for you because obviously the real benefits of DCC, come by being able to press buttons in order to select the Loco you want to control, or select the sounds you want to hear etc.

Having said that, it is your model railway and as such you must get pleasure, not frustration from it.  I can now see why you have suggested converting back to DC.

Please let us know how you get on and if you are able to let us know which Loco's you have (by model or part number) there will be someone available to help you to convert, or if you are unable to do the conversion yourself, do you have a Local model shop that could help.

Hi , RDS. / RAF96

Thanks for your help, its been very helpful ,  I will think  more about it.

Yes, nearest model shop , about 18 miles away, thats about 4 hours round trip on

my mobility scooter, dont fancy that,  thank again.

alan.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps someone nearby with the construction skills could make Sweepy a 'giant' Elite, using the existing 'innards' but with big sliders and buttons, to get around this problem? It would need two extra buttons, of course, to replace the 'click' function of the two knobs.

Archived