NO SPARE PARTS

MTB Aussie

Anyone else having trouble getting spare parts or having to wait months for spares to arrive? ...Rear wings are my main issue ... it took me about 5 mths to get the 6 rear wings for the GT Lightening, also no service sheets for them either. No rear wing stock available for Aston Martin Vantage GT3 blue C3718... (w10967 Service Sheet 510) I have lbeen ooking for this for approximately 16 mths. My many emails, direct to Scalextic, who continuosly claim, NO STOCK

Hi MTB Aussie. I contacted Scalextric about spares for the BTCC cars when they first came out. The reply was that there were no plans to produce them at the moment. That has continued to be the case with all recent Scalextric models and, although disappointing, it seems to be the situation across the range at this time.

Reading between the lines, changes in the business set-up at Hornby have coincided with the change of policy with spares. I know the company have changed premises and have moved towards lower volume production runs - which typically means less product (and parts) kept in stock. It makes sense to me in business terms, even though, as an enthusiast, I would prefer a massive warehouse full of the cars, accessories and parts that I might just want one day ;-)

I'm hoping that Hornby look at this again in the future. I don't think we'll ever be able to get all the spares for all models, including specifically decaled wings, mirrors etc. Maybe we got spoiled by expecting that in the past? There could be a compromise in the future - a single set with undecorated wing and mirrors to fit all the different liveries of a car. I would like to see that, plus rear axles, motors, guides etc.

In the meantime, I repair what I have, using plasticard, lexan and flexible glues like Shoe Goo or E6000 - or I use those materials to build a totally new wing. There are also a few 3D printed wings and other slot car spares appearing on Shapeways now - including wings for the Scalextric Bentley Continental, Mercedes AMG GT3 and Porsche 911 RSR. If there is demand, there may be more offered in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MTB Aussie. I contacted Scalextric about spares for the BTCC cars when they first came out. The reply was that there were no plans to produce them at the moment. That has continued to be the case with all recent Scalextric models and, although disappointing, it seems to be the situation across the range at this time.

Reading between the lines, changes in the business set-up at Hornby have coincided with the change of policy with spares. I know the company have changed premises and have moved towards lower volume production runs - which typically means less product (and parts) kept in stock. It makes sense to me in business terms, even though, as an enthusiast, I would prefer a massive warehouse full of the cars, accessories and parts that I might just want one day ;-)

I'm hoping that Hornby look at this again in the future. I don't think we'll ever be able to get all the spares for all models, including specifically decaled wings, mirrors etc. Maybe we got spoiled by expecting that in the past? There could be a compromise in the future - a single set with undecorated wing and mirrors to fit all the different liveries of a car. I would like to see that, plus rear axles, motors, guides etc.

In the meantime, I repair what I have, using plasticard, lexan and flexible glues like Shoe Goo or E6000 - or I use those materials to build a totally new wing. There are also a few 3D printed wings and other slot car spares appearing on Shapeways now - including wings for the Scalextric Bentley Continental, Mercedes AMG GT3 and Porsche 911 RSR. If there is demand, there may be more offered in the future.

Hi woodcote

I think you are missing the big picture...

Scalextric are perceived to be at the pointy end of the market for the home user...

The car are no way cheap...

I payed $79.00 plus postage for my Aston Martin (C3718) to run in a GT3 Stock class...

no rear wing ... not stock...

They also have a service sheet (510) with listed spare parts listed for C3718  (05/2017)

Item 9 on the service sheet accessory bag W10967 (wipers mirrors rear wing) ...

Email again from Scalextric 20 June 2018... sorry we are unable to be of assistance... 

# Sell you a new one... no worries

# Back up from Scalextric ZERO out of 10

# Supply Service sheets... no worries

# Supply Spare parts... ZERO out of 10

# what fools we are

• 3 months later...

spoilers and mirrors must cost penunts to produce

Produce, yes, store, manage, invoice, ship, no.

The amount of effort for shipping a spoiler is essentially  the same for a car or complete set.

If you google hornby and finances you will see they are in the middle of recovery and every penny/cent has to be turned over twice before spent. Profitability is key. (This is grossly oversimplifying). My personal feeling is that while you do need to address the "young" market (read: Holidays and kids) there is more to be gained from a more mature, enthusiast group but that is only based on my personal feeling that is not backed by any data, research or experience. From a certain point of view you could put me in charge of a bridal shop and I have about as much info to base decisions on (i.e. rhetorically speaking: I got married therefore I must know everything about the bridal business) 

Regarding the service sheets:

I have brought this up as as an issue. The site's search, while it works to a degree is not ideal and I am sure there are gaps in the information.

I had suggested making a user-based wiki type database as in some cases users' input is more rich on info than from corporate  (i.e. chassis XYZ fits body PDQ or car number C123456 is the same just without interior of car C99236 etc.)

I am sure there is some software out there that could do something along those lines but I simply do not have the bandwidth to tackle such a thing in addition to my real life and moderating here (I am not a Hornby employee).

At the end of the day there is obviously an opportunity and I know in the UK there are at least a dozen suppliers breaking up cars for spare parts for reasonable prices (though shipping to Australia can be expensive...)

The spare parts issue is brought up about once or twice a month so there is demand...

So my question back to you is: How would you solve it if Scalextric no longer existed?

SCX, Ninco and many others are practically non-existent and we don't want to happen here. Nevertheless, for the near future we have to accept their policy and find ways around it.

If I had choice between the odd spare part and the company going bust and no spare part (directly from the manufacturer) and them still being around I prefer the latter.

In the current environment (with exports from the UK in the uncertain shadow of the impending brexit) I do not think this is an exaggeration.

I am willing to contribute if someone wants to make "find my spares" Wiki. You are well within your rights to attempt. Maybe you can even even make money at where Hornby can't.

Wings are designed to be broken off.

Any group that requires their use is run by a non racer.

Have always removed wings at purchase for racing.

Some used toys have bought have both their wings and tires glued on,

which is a real problem for the new purchaser to fix later.

If really wanted to have spare parts for a toy,

would buy 2.

This policy failed me with the bike can, fragile, vintage f1s,

which are really meant to be shelf queens.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rowland 24, I think you on the right track instead of make a limited number

of spares, just make an accessory bag for each car that requires one and

charge a nominal fee extra per car.

put in the box with the new unit.

No extra shipping.

No extra storage.

No extra handling.

Happy customer .

would buy 2.

would buy 2.

Hi Gorp,

I had a few cars that i run in the stock out of the box class.  
The last car I bought to run in this class was an Aston Martin (C3718)
that snapped off after the second race then only to find out that the
rear wing was glued in from the factory and it took about 18 mths to
source a replacement wing thanks to Scalextric England. Surely the Rear Wing
could be made to simply clip in and spring out on impact
As for buying 2 cars one to race and one for spares @ $79.00 each $88.50 shipped and insured
for a $ 5.00 rear wing is not acceptable as the Accessory Bag is listed on the Service
Sheet (510) lists it as a spare part.
As we race as hard a possible but still like to keep our cars in relative good condition and complete

spoilers and mirrors must cost penunts to produce

Produce, yes, store, manage, invoice, ship, no.

The amount of effort for shipping a spoiler is essentially  the same for a car or complete set.

If you google hornby and finances you will see they are in the middle of recovery and every penny/cent has to be turned over twice before spent. Profitability is key. (This is grossly oversimplifying). My personal feeling is that while you do need to address the "young" market (read: Holidays and kids) there is more to be gained from a more mature, enthusiast group but that is only based on my personal feeling that is not backed by any data, research or experience. From a certain point of view you could put me in charge of a bridal shop and I have about as much info to base decisions on (i.e. rhetorically speaking: I got married therefore I must know everything about the bridal business) 

Regarding the service sheets:

I have brought this up as as an issue. The site's search, while it works to a degree is not ideal and I am sure there are gaps in the information.

I had suggested making a user-based wiki type database as in some cases users' input is more rich on info than from corporate  (i.e. chassis XYZ fits body PDQ or car number C123456 is the same just without interior of car C99236 etc.)

I am sure there is some software out there that could do something along those lines but I simply do not have the bandwidth to tackle such a thing in addition to my real life and moderating here (I am not a Hornby employee).

At the end of the day there is obviously an opportunity and I know in the UK there are at least a dozen suppliers breaking up cars for spare parts for reasonable prices (though shipping to Australia can be expensive...)

The spare parts issue is brought up about once or twice a month so there is demand...

So my question back to you is: How would you solve it if Scalextric no longer existed?

SCX, Ninco and many others are practically non-existent and we don't want to happen here. Nevertheless, for the near future we have to accept their policy and find ways around it.

If I had choice between the odd spare part and the company going bust and no spare part (directly from the manufacturer) and them still being around I prefer the latter.

In the current environment (with exports from the UK in the uncertain shadow of the impending brexit) I do not think this is an exaggeration.

I am willing to contribute if someone wants to make "find my spares" Wiki. You are well within your rights to attempt. Maybe you can even even make money at where Hornby can't.

Yes they read here and on other forums as well.

The Scalextric section of Hornby is fairly small but punches above its weight in most areas.

If there is a major issue I forward it on to my contacts but in the case of spares this has been brought up many times so I tend to collect the items and send them a few times a year sort of giving them an executive summary.

Hi woodcote one of the boys at the club gave me an Aston 3D part to suit

but it didnt  fit very well and had a lean to it ....not sure if it was NSR.

after getting a part from Hornsby the car now is sitting in it box on the shelf.

Iam not buying any cars with wings until i can get parts 

Archived