Can digital chipped cars run on analogue track?

The answer is yes. A chipped car acts as an analogue car on an analogue track, but power still goes through the components of the digital chip.

I can't say I enjoy the feel running a chipped car on analogue track (especially on the analogue mode of ARC Pro) and I tend to remove chips if I want to run a car on analogue. With DPR cars, it is very quick and easy to remove the C8515 chip and replace the original cover. A championship using DPR cars would be perfect for running the same car on digital and analogue tracks.

If you are running performance cars (Slot.it, NSR etc) and using the Slot.it SP15B chip, then this is easy to add or remove - just de-soldering and soldering two wires to the motor.

• 3 months later...

A mini switch could be installed to reroute the power from the digital chip to the motor so that no power goes to the chip. I can't see that the variable voltage going to the chip would be very healthy for it. The switch would be a quick change on the car without swapping or soldering anything. If cars are weighed at the races, having a switch would potentially prevent needing to install and remove weights. 

chip does take a volt to operate but still enjoyed beating all analog toys with my scaly digital cars with no failure of the chip

since some run carrera on scaly analog after changing or modifing the guide

remember that you have to go through some steps to shut their chip down

also the slotit universal chip , scaly/carrera/o2 does not operate on analog

A mini switch could be installed to reroute the power from the digital chip to the motor so that no power goes to the chip.

Or you can use plugs like found on computer components to disconnect the chip and plug the motor directly to the braids.

It requires opening the body for retro-chipped fitted cars though.

As woodcote says though ARC PRO seems to make digital cars in analog mode EXTREMELY touchy so either use a dedicated analog base or remove the chips.

It will require some trials to see how they behave.

I am not aware of anyone blowing chips because of running in analog mode except for a VERY long time (more than 8 years) go when people held the rear wheels in the air and stimped on the throttle. That isn't good for your analog cars either!

One more point: when using typical analog controllers (that do not have a brake button) you will hae no engine braking when release the trigger because the digital chip negates the effect. On ARC AIR and PRO the brake button still works but it not dynamic.

• 1 month later...

To convert from digital to analog, is it as simple as just unplugging the digital chip, or is there jumpers that need to be added to the plug. I recently purchased a car with the DPR unit removed with no cover in place and the cable hanging out. I run analog, so I'm just trying to determine if all I need to do is just make a cover, or if I need to jumper the pins on the plug. 

You'll need a cover to replace the digital plug. The cover has a socket that the car's wiring loom plugs into. Everything - motor and any lights - will work fine in analogue and you keep the option to re-fit the digital plug to run digital.

If you are not interested in running digital, it is possible to wire the guide direct to the motor, although you'd need to rewire the headlights if those are important to you.

Archived