'Return of the Shack' the Next Big Build - Shackleton AEW.2

Toboldlygo

@ P4T

Yes I have been called predantic before too!

But as you will see my ceiling is getting a little crowded and quite a few RAF Jets in Dk Grey/Dk Green so I just thought I'd replace the aging Victor Tanker in the same scheme but use an authentic Vallejo Hemp colour rather than mix my own!

/media/tinymce_upload/efee3b4dbef63a9b2c8fe89164d7f605.jpg

Please excuse the dust, not easy taking them all down but I am told (yes by SWMBO again) that they need dusting more often lol!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a couple of shifts at work (including a nightshift) the fuselage was back from the paint booth and ready for some masking..

/media/tinymce_upload/303ebe747421fe4f5740b81e8badb308.jpg

All the masking removed and she begins to look suspiciously like a member of 8 Squadron  😉

/media/tinymce_upload/25635fb2c53448645f39cfea1cb9c84d.jpg

The aftermarket decals are out, must be time for a few transfers...

/media/tinymce_upload/b4ea1d9c215447d872fde2a380905aa2.jpg

Zebedee is flying without wings - they're in the paintshop, which I can't get to at the moment due to a badly sprained foot (can't climb a ladder)

/media/tinymce_upload/69576b4e81a0a90042f60dec66a2eada.jpg

• 3 months later...

Slightly earlier than expected and with an unexpected bereavement (Mum's twin Brother), the Shack is helping distract me:

/media/tinymce_upload/f1b45b3cfc804bff6c650f6476b2bfa9.jpg

Props assembled

/media/tinymce_upload/98e236d4b0ee407856ce10618e3292ff.jpg

Wings in the process of having additional painting a detail added prior to transfers.

More to come.

Have been waiting for your Shack to return and you merely teased us last week with your post!

I'm sure it will be up to your usual high standard but the Extra Dark Sea Grey looks awfully dark in the photo, almost black especially laid on top of the colour illustration sheet. Is that just a trick of the camera and lighting?

Have been waiting for your Shack to return and you merely teased us last week with your post!

I'm sure it will be up to your usual high standard but the Extra Dark Sea Grey looks awfully dark in the photo, almost black especially laid on top of the colour illustration sheet. Is that just a trick of the camera and lighting?

It had been sitting in my under construction pile (next to the Stash overflow on the top shelf in my bedroom).

The weather was dire yesterday and I had realised how dark the photo's came out - the Shack is dark sea grey honest lol.

More progress this morning, started putting the transfers on.

/media/tinymce_upload/d0d7f0b2298cc0f44101f9449f8a7376.jpg

I sometimes struggle getting my images right with poor lighting etc and even then with using authentic paint colours (I now use Vallejo Model Air paints which I think are very good), I sometimes think my finished model doesn't quite look like the box art!

But on the Shack I think the colour illustrated sheet is to light, looks like a Mid Sea Grey compared to the box art??

But I'm looking forward to seeing yours finished and I'll probably get round to mine next year?

I sometimes struggle getting my images right with poor lighting etc and even then with using authentic paint colours (I now use Vallejo Model Air paints which I think are very good), I sometimes think my finished model doesn't quite look like the box art!

But on the Shack I think the colour illustrated sheet is to light, looks like a Mid Sea Grey compared to the box art??

But I'm looking forward to seeing yours finished and I'll probably get round to mine next year?

I found 71.048 Engine Grey a close match to Dark Sea Grey, the colour on the illustrated sheet is more akin to Ocean grey.

I've got half the fuselage decaled up (top & bottom), I just need for them to dry out a little before tackling the sides (just need to remember she's Zebedee and use the appropriate Xrtadecal transfers)!

Once the decals are on , I'll touch up the paint where needed and fit the tail wheels (currently along with main wheels having their hubs painted).

She'll defintely be finished this week, I have the B-29A to complete, but that will take too long - so who knows what I'll start from my stash, before I go back to my railway commissions in January.

I've gone slightly cross-eyed with all the transfers I've applied so far today...

Fuselage is complete (aside from two antenna - currently in paint with the props), starboard wing is done.

It's just the port wing to finish the decals on and add the various antenna and under carriage doors.

This should be completed tonight after supper.

/media/tinymce_upload/c379651a4471f3504e7656f7343ac50b.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/c37a22e3044042028f6293d179156d76.jpg

All being well I'll get the props finished tomorrow and I can get the Shack finished

A lot of progress. And the colour on the last 2 photos (with the port wing missing) looks a lot better. When I was planning mine a few months ago, before it got pushed back in the stash pile I was doing some colour testing and thought the Vallejo Dark Sea Grey was a good match. I'll have to double check the paint code but I'm pretty sure I decided Extra Dark Sea Grey was too dark and didn't have the correct blue hue to it!

A lot of progress. And the colour on the last 2 photos (with the port wing missing) looks a lot better. When I was planning mine a few months ago, before it got pushed back in the stash pile I was doing some colour testing and thought the Vallejo Dark Sea Grey was a good match. I'll have to double check the paint code but I'm pretty sure I decided Extra Dark Sea Grey was too dark and didn't have the correct blue hue to it!

71.048 Engine Grey works best, I shall be using it on my next Naval Aircraft project -  the big SV. 😉

Boing 'Zebedee' has her wings glued on..

/media/tinymce_upload/81eba1fa06469d699eb9f431da65f753.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/20d03afcedd3663b5cef6b12cb38220d.jpg

Props all painted and as I type - 24 out of 72 transfers added to the props!

Finished, time for the obligatory Cameo of the next build (already under way as I type).

/media/tinymce_upload/f94eb14fdab1b3c02a40acae692c26f3.jpg

Out in the fresh air..

/media/tinymce_upload/8033604578873622ddc02327eeb1779f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/f873b2fd4c5a97c3e3df0fdcd542ba65.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/af802829c940c127e593dc13750a4db7.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/96fa0a5d030ca89698774718fa1911a4.jpg

Time for a Trio of Avro's...

/media/tinymce_upload/7cdb175b2fdd5018eff646d81fb4a4cc.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/3781b76180af12242004c97bfb901eb2.jpg

You've done an excellent job again James, I just hope mine turns out somewhere near as good! And the Dark Grey/Blue looks perfect on the last photo before the trio of Avro's. I'm only 1 third of the way there with only my MR.2 completed.

Did you finish it off with a Satin varnish?

You've done an excellent job again James, I just hope mine turns out somewhere near as good! And the Dark Grey/Blue looks perfect on the last photo before the trio of Avro's. I'm only 1 third of the way there with only my MR.2 completed.

Did you finish it off with a Satin varnish?

Thanks, Dark Sea Grey is always a bit of guessing game as it can vary quite a bit.

I have another 3 to build (Shack MR.3, a Dambusters Lanc and a B.II). I'm also toying with idea of acquiring another MR.2 to do a late version (as opposed to my early one) and the Hasegawa Grand Slam/Tall Boy version of the Lanc.

No varnish, as I got a very good surface finish with the airbrush.

Yes James you have got a very good finish, I just wondered if you used a varnish to protect your decals and considered if a Satin finish would be best for when mine hits the model bench?

And yes you will have quite a collection of big Avro's when they are all done! I still have my AEW.2 to do plus a Lanc B.II in my stash and a planned purchase of the Lanc 

And yes you will have quite a collection of big Avro's when they are all done!

In my LMS on Saturday and they had a really big Avro - the HKM Lancaster in 1/32!

I had a look inside the box and was very impressed, but the thought of (a) £400 and (b) how many decades it would sit on the bottom layer of my stash put me off (fortunately!)

And yes you will have quite a collection of big Avro's when they are all done!

In my LMS on Saturday and they had a really big Avro - the HKM Lancaster in 1/32!

I had a look inside the box and was very impressed, but the thought of (a) £400 and (b) how many decades it would sit on the bottom layer of my stash put me off (fortunately!)

I'm trying to avoid buying anymore kits, till I've made a dent in my stash. Though as an investment the HKM one with the clear fuselage would be a wise one.

• 1 year later...

After 16 month's and a complete retool of Revell's Shack MR.3 - there's another Shack on the workbench  😉

/media/tinymce_upload/688347edda611950e6a8b759c657e3ff.jpg

Not a patch on Airfix's if I'm totally honest, but 100% better than the old ex-Frog version.