Next models.

Guest Chrissaf

This really ought to be in the Wishlist forum.

I would however welcome all the SR classes mentioned of course and if a LNER Dxx was chosen how about a D40 !? 😆

What would you like to see as the next models from Hornby?

I would like to see more 4-4-0s, for example D, D1, E, E1 or L, L1 from the SR and Dxx from the LNER (the D49 could do with an upgrade like Hornby did with the B17)

I can't think of what I want Hornby to release next. All I can think of is some new locomotives and rolling stock, in the Thomas & Friends range, but considering that Hornby have announced the license is ending for that, at the of 2018, I may as well unthink these thoughts!  🤔 😆  😉 😀

Two items I always get every year without fail, are the Hornby Catalogue and the standard Hornby Yearly Wagon, so as long as these are in 2019's range, then I will be happen. Maybe another item will pop up, for release next year, that I will want.

GNR-Gordon-4

You can't fool me!

You only want the LNER class D40 because  a batch of these ran on the LC&DR,SE&CR or similar Kentish railway. A long way from their native Scottish railway roots

😉

Aha,  you spotted my subterfuge, I am undone!

For those not already versed in matters GNoSR or indeed LC&DR let me explain -

On 1898 Neilson Reid & Co had been contracted to build ten more 4-4-0 of William Pickersgill class V for the Great North of Scotland Railway but the railway found it no longer needed all ten after all so asked Neilson Reid if they could find another buyer for five of them. The London Chatham and Dover Railway was at the time looking for new stock especially at bargain prices and was therefore offered these at £3,200 each. The five locomotives suitably adapted for work on the LC&DR arrived in 1900, although by that time the LC&DR and SER had entered into the working union as the SE&CR. So there were 18 identical locomotives working in the UK but 13 were up in Scotland and five were in North Kent. The GNoSR subsequently did buy 8 more but this time with superheated boilers.

The 21 GNoSR locomotives entered LNER service in 1923 as class D40. One of the superheated batch  No 49 "Gordon Highlander" (BR No 62277) has been preserved and is in Glasgow Museum.

The 5 LC&DR locos (class G) had much shorter lives, the last one was withdrawn by the Southern Railway in 1927 following electrification of the suburban sevices releasing more modern locomotives to take over their duties.

Wishlists seem to have been somewhat quieter and less ambitious of late.

Are we all now completely satisfied with the offerings from Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan, Hornby, Oxford etc. or have we all just given up asking?

As mentioned in another post, model railways are addictive.

So, I have collected almost all the SR and BR(S) OO locos produced so far. In my original post I listed areas where there are gaps in what I could use on my layout. I should have added LBSC  B, C, D and E classes

Wishlists seem to have been somewhat quieter and less ambitious of late.

Are we all now completely satisfied with the offerings from Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan, Hornby, Oxford etc. or have we all just given up asking?

This post is my personal opinion only....

Personally I have given up asking. I won't say that I favour any brand. I will happily buy models from Hornby, Dapol, Heljan Oxford Rail, Accurascale, Hatton's, Kernow and Rapido etc.

However with the crazy amount of issues I've faced with Bachmann products I will not really buy anything from them for the foreseeable future. And the attitude of the owner of DJ Models has put me off from buying anything from him, moreover his track record isn't the best.

- Back to wishlisting, I've been after some AC electrics for a long time. I am happy that Hornby are doing the Class 87 and supported them with pre-orders.

- I've also wanted the Class 90 for a long time, Hornby has a model that's good enough and I have designed detailing kits to bring them upto modern standards.

- Heljan's Class 86 was absolutely awful, it makes me wish that Dapol, Hornby or Rapido would've done it to their usual high standards.

- Sadly the OO gauge Class 92 is done by someone I will never give money to.

- I'm now hoping that we'll get a proper Class 86, Class 88 and Class 91. I'll happily accept these models if they're done by any of the manufacturers I listed above.

When it comes to a company like Hornby testing out a certain segment of the market, I think they get a little too over-ambitious and go off-track. For example, when they first tested out electric locos to today's standards, they brought out a Class 71. They then followed it up with a Class 87. Personally I feel that a Class 86 would've have sold much better simply down to their large numbers and liveries. Another example would be Hornby's entrance into the N gauge market, a DMU like the Class 158 would've been much better than a 5-BEL, since then they've not produced anything more in N gauge. When asked they simply say there is no market. So now I fear that Hornby will probably miss out on a fast-selling item because they tested a market with something less popular.

Oddly enough I haven't encountered any problems with Bachmann. I have 20 plus of Bachmann's Wainwright 0-6-0s and 14 class N 2-6-0s they are all excellent runners. I don't have many Bachmnann non-steam models.

Hornby's models are also excellent, including both the main and Railroad range. The 2Hal is undoubtedly my favourite non-steam model. Turning to the class 71 (I prefer the descrption class HA), Hornby's is clearly the superior model.

Heljan models can be a bit mixed. I bought one of their MV 1200hp Bo-Bo (No 8 Sherlock Holmes), and it is very noisy in one direction despite extensive running in, BUT I have bought another offered at a bargain price by Hattons (No. 11 George Romney) and it as sweet as a nut. The Heljan class 14 I bought some years ago was a disappointment too. The lighting is far too strong and shines out of every orifice in a non-prototypical manner.

I still think that there are significant gaps in the entire ranges of all the manufacturers.  Most noticably there are very few AC multiple units of any period (I think only Bachmann make one), or London Underground stock from the traditional (red) period. Personally I am not that interested in the former BUT I would be very keen to add some Underground stock to my collection.

The BR Standards are now very well covered by current or recent  models =

7MT 4-6-2 Britannia class  - Hornby

8P 4-6-2 Duke of Gloucester - Hornby

6MT 4-6-2 Clan class- Hornby

5MT 4-6-0 class - Bachmann

4MT 4-6-0 class - Bachmann and Hornby

4MT 2-6-0 class - Bachmann

4MT 2-6-4T class - Bachmann

3MT 2-6-2T - Bachmann

WD 8F 2-8-0 class - Bachmann

9F 2-10-0 class - Bachmann and Hornby

8F 2-10-0 Crosti boiler class - Hornby

so the only 'gaps' are 5MT 4-6-0 with caprotti valve gear, 2MT 2-6-0 and 2MT 2-6-2T (As said above), and the 8F WD 2-10-0.  There are a few minor tender variations and different chimney combinations that could be added too however  not a bad record.

Then there are the pseudo standards

LMS Stanier Black 5 4-6-0 - Hornby

LMS Fairburn 4MT 2-6-4T - Bachmann

LMS Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 - Bachmann

LMS Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T - Bachmann

LMS Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 - Bachmann

A pretty impressive line up I feel.

Personally I have been delighted with the range and quality of locomotives from several suppliers, only problem has been restraining myself from buying too many, don't want to see my credit card on crutches!

So, my wish at the moment would be to see more trains to go behind the locomotives.

I dream of an LNER Silver Jubilee Coach pack in two tone blue or all silver and an LMS Coronation Scot coach pack in blue or crimson.

How about suitable wagon packs for for each region during two or three time periods?

My first two choices lean towards my passion for the glamour days of steam travel and I'm sure many people would love to see the "glamour" trains of their favourite region reproduced. 

I would also like a realistic Flying Scotsman formation pack - arguably our most famous train but largely focused on the wonderful locomotive.

Finally note to Hornby - please can we have some better figures? I did dable in continental trains for a while and the Preiser figures were stunning, we have such a heritage of style and dress it would be lovely to have some really characterful new people.

😎

WT has put his finger on one of my 'gripes' that of matching rolling stock to new locomotives.  Especially when the locomotive is being produced in a special livery such as pre-grouping, when it really needs to have a matching guards van. The North British 0-6-0 would look good in the NBR livery BUT it then needs a North British goods brake van to hang on the back of the train. Post Nationalisation generally can get away with vans from other original railways, so in LNER livery the new Toad would be fine on the back of the J36's train , but if it is in pre-1923 colours it just wouldn't match. The intermediate goods vehicles are less of an issue, because the various trader livery open wagons can at a pinch go reasonably well with any pre-nationalisation loco.

Fortunately Bachmann have made the SE&CR Birdcage carriages to match Hornby's excellent Wainwright H 0-4-4T but nobody (apart from me) makes a SE&CR goods brake van to go with their 0-6-0.

Models that are dcc sound fitted (not ready)  with crew passengers etc .

That isn't a sensible thing to do for any company. DCC Ready models are the highest sellers. Therefore it makes most sense to produce DCC Ready models. DCC and DCC Sound can be fitted by both customers and retailers. And sometimes it works out much cheaper.

Adding passengers and crew is also not the best idea. Crew on a steam locomotive is fine as steam locos are almost always seen running forward. But diesel and electric locos are seen running in both directions all the time. Having a crew in one cab (like Bachmann) makes a model locomotive look so stupid when hauling a train and the driver is in the wrong cab. Passengers in coaches will look silly in a coaching yard/depot. Customers can always populate the trains themselves and do a much better job and for much cheaper, once again you can use Bachmann for an example, their populated coaches are so much more expensive than doing it yourself.

I’d like to see a RTR model of the austerity 2-10-0. Would be a good alternative to the 9F and is one of the few bigger locos not to have been produced in RTR form. 

As I said above of the BR 'Standards' this is one of the bigger gaps, I suspect because they only seemed to work in Scotland and rarely in England. (Model manufacturers seem to forget there were railways north of Hadrian's Wall) The only other serious ommisions are the Capprotti fitted 5MTs, and the Riddles versions of the 2MT tank and tender engines. Some subtle variations could be added to this list but these are mainly chimney variations, tender variations and the oddities such as the Tyne - Consett air pump 9F, and the de-Crosti Crosties.

Has there ever been a Standard 3MT tender engine,77xxx ?

Sorry, I missed that one!  No there hasn't although I heard one of the smaller manufacturers was considering one. I would love a model of 77014, the last survivor that ended its days at Guildford.

It HAD to be a North Easterner didn't it!? 😆

77014's sheds since January 1957 - 52C Blaydon, then 52A Gateshead (9/59), 52H Tyne Dock (9/60), 52F Blyth (5/61), 51L Thornaby (10/62), 55B Stourton (9/63), 8E Northwich (11/64), 70C Guildford (3/66 - 7/67, then stored at 70G Weymouth until 10/67 until taken to Birds Risca where scrapped by 2/68)

• 3 weeks later...

All the old days Tri-ang, Hornby Dublo, Trix, Lima etc. included a catering vehicle in the series, although because these were mainly based upon the new BR Mark 1 (or something almost based in it) they happened to be a Mark 1 type. Even when Triang introduced the 10 inch CKD series there was an Miniature Buffet (RMB), which doesn't seemed to have come across with the new (and excellent) RailRoad Mark 1s. Triang also included a Sleeper (SLEP) which has not re-appeared.

In fairness the current or recent Hornby pre-Nationalsation types do include a catering car for the LNER (a bit pricy but a decent enough model) and now a Maunsell one for the SR.  The LMS 12 wheeler being produced from old Airfix  tooling is showing its age, and so a new LMS catering car is needed, and of course the old  'Collett Buffet'  is based on the tooling now relegated to RailRoad, so something to match the Hawksworth and new Collett detailed coaches is certainly overdue.

The old Triang 9" restaurant coach although somewhat crude was always a bit special with the representation of tables with table cloths and crockery visible through the windows.

/media/tinymce_upload/be801e378f99ea6d06956ffb03f407e6.jpg

Archived