Fitting TTS sound to R3339 Princess Coronation

Cornishman55

A couple of years ago I purchased R3339 Princess Coronation Class 'Duchess of Hamilton' and stored it away whilst I was converting my layout to DCC. 

I'm ashamed to say that I forgot about it until my memory was recently jogged with the release of Hornby's new TTS Sound Decoder R8117 for Princess Coronation class locomotives.

I have never converted a DCC Ready locomotive to DCC Fitted, so please forgive my ignorance, but would it be sufficient to buy the new TTS Sound Decoder and fit to to my DCC Ready Loco, or do I have to fit something else first?

Many thanks

If your loco has an 8 pin socket then installation should be fairly easy. The socket is likely to be in the loco so the supplied speaker would be too large to fit in the loco and would have to be replaced by a ‘sugar cube’ type of speaker. Many sizes and makes are available.

Or you could simply extend the speaker wires into the tender and mount the standard speaker and enclosure there.

Rob

Thanks for your replies - I have opened up the box (for the first time) and dug out the instructions.  It looks like it's very similar to service sheet No 370 with a fitting cradle in the tender.

That being the case, would I just need to remove the tender body and fit the new TTS Sound Decoder R8117 into a preset position?

Essentially yes, but you may find any tender weight over the speaker (I dont have the SS to look at) will prevent fitting the speaker enclosure. If so just leave the enclosure off and seal around the speaker making sure you dont foul the speaker diaphragm with blue/black/white tak. This will give as good a sound quality as you can hope to get. Also check the decoder socket for any stry solder tracks or dodgy wires and it may be worth sticking a bit of insulating tape under the socket to prevent the decoder plug pins touching any metal.

SS370 is for a diesel. Look also at SS251, 339 and 362.

Rob

Can I suggest you remove the top from the tender, as I purchased this loco a couple of years ago and found that the decoder socket was not in the tender, although the documentation indicated it was.  Discovered that the socket was in the loco , very frustrating at the time, as I returned the loco as faulty only to discover that all stock had been sold out

Rod

Archived