How best to repair my T-9 ?

Jimbo1707820979

Hello All

A wire has detached from the Hornby X9659 decoder through the peg-and-ring coupling failing to keep the tension off between the loco and tender.

As the wire is so small, is soldering an option ?  Or would this destroy the chip ?   The model is loco driven so an alternative might be to fit a blanking plate and return the loco to analogue ? (assuming a blanking plate is available for the X9659).  The wire shows no filaments - the insulation is right up to its end - so I was thinking of holding the soldering iron against it to burn off the insulation. It is so small that using a razor or stripper would be difficult.

I am attaching photos and would be very grateful fo help.  /media/tinymce_upload/78fd04f65c4ecff2c69bd8e04dd8fe4a.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/c6b307cef2c975a0825e8bf80e170fc1.jpg

You’ll need to solder it or get it soldered for you. 

Why would soldering destroy the decoder. It is not anywhere near the white plug and socket. Unplug it before the soldering is done. 

I find it very hard to believe the wire snapped because coupling between the loco and tender allowed the wire to break. There is loads of slack. It just wouldn’t happen. 

I wouldn't try burning the insulation off, it can make it very difficult to get solder to stick properly due to contamination.

Stripping with a good pair of wire strippers is best but a razor blade or Stanley knife blade used carefully should work.  I would unplug the connector from the tender to get better access.

PS  I think Hornby sell replacement plugs and sockets but they may only be available from spares dealers like Peters Spares.

I find it very hard to believe the wire snapped because coupling between the loco and tender allowed the wire to break. There is loads of slack. It just wouldn’t happen. 

7-year-old hands can do all sorts of things 😆  Especially when the drawbar is too loosely fitting and comes adrift. (Drawbar ring already squeezed up a fraction to give tighter fit).   7-year-old claims he has learned from his mistake !  It is one of his favourite locos.

Thankyou everybody for your advice. I managed to solder the little wire back in place after stripping the end with a craft knife. Very, very fiddly.

The T-9 is now running smoothly, much to my relief as I have just read that Bournemouth Model Railway Centre is closing down soon due to the /media/tinymce_upload/30a246caf47165b1c2cd43e0187faba2.JPGretirement of Derek and Bob, who have been most helpful to me. They will be sorely missed.

I am confused - the X9659 decoder is a 4-pin decoder for some of the very small loco's Hornby has produced. The T-9 has an 8-pin socket mounted in the tender (well mine does) to take an 8-pin decoder. The wire shown in the picture is one of four that come from the loco and plugs into the tender socket - these wires run from the motor and wheel pick-ups. I would guess that the plug with four wires attached may come as a spare part, which would require soldering in four places on the chassis with the loco body off. No need to touch the decoder in the tender. BB

Yes, WTD. I quite enjoy soldering now (albeit with a cheap iron).   Earlier I used to dread anything that mentioned soldering.  

Which just goes to show that it is worth "having a go" rather than sitting back brooding !   Next I am going to tackle my non-running Heljan "Lion" which I suspect has a burnt out decoder. Used to run strongly and is a lovely model.  First I have to figure out how to take the body off to see what kind of chip it has.

Thanks for your post.

Archived