Reducing volume on sound loco.

Bulleidboy

It will be a CV, but to say which one it is necessary for you to state the brand/model of the decoder. For example the CV63 that has been mentioned is valid for a Loksound V35 and V4 decoder. TTS Diesel is CV182 (master volume) and TTS Steam is CV178 (master volume). Other brands of sound decoders will have their own CV specifications.

I've looked through the Elite manual............

Wrong manual, you need to read the manual for the decoder not the controller.

Hornby model numbers ending in XS use Loksound decoders. Therefore the master volume will indeed be CV63. Yes, these are loud. If I recall correctly the valid range is 0 to 192, typically the default is 128. Mine are set to about 40.

I concur with HB. I do my volumes on the PROG track. Yes, extra work if you keep needing to remount the loco on different tracks between multiple adjustments for testing, but less scope for mucking things up.

The beauty of altering the volume using POM is that it is instant and you can keep tweaking until it is right, rather than guesstimating on the PROG track, trying it out on the main, repeat until you are either happy or fed up.

Rob

I agree programming sound on the program track is tedious to say the least. The locomotive doesn't move and thus you can not gauge whether the volume is at a decent level when your locomotive is on the other side of your layout. I have a Class 20, two A4s and a Castle all with sound sound and do a fair amount of POM, not only sound but start voltage, Accel decel values and Max speed. So long as you address your locomotive then only it gets its CV value chsnged, or take all the others off the track. 

I'll risk changing the CV on the main layout. I have read the instructions again, and as has been said, if the correct loco code is entered there should be no problems. It is only sound I'm concerned about at the moment - the sound range is 0 - 192 with the default set at 101, so it can come down some way. I think Chris said he runs at 40, seems a good starting point.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Archived