The death of the British model shop!

Forum-1211528

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vespa, good to hear from you.  Need to be a devotee, with no wish to make a living, from  the business,on independant means,. to open a shop today.  Those mentionned, still trading, are in decent locations, probably on long  term fixed rentals, and i wish them well.  Repairs, need high skill levels, and are time consuming. Banks are very cautious about theses types of ventures, and high level of stock, given the choice of manufacturers, pretty essential. When i had my business, the bank required the stock to  turn over, 3 times a year,   just wont happen. john

Same person - different ham radio callsign, that's all, Vespa.

I'll hold my hand out for a slap, I'd forgotten Grimy Times.

I did put IN Warrington, Culcheth and Hattons are not IN!

From here, to catch a bus into town, I have to walk half a mile in the wrong direction to the nearest stop, and that doesn't go near the required shops, just to the terminus. It's as quick, for me, to walk across the park!

I picked out 3 names that had changed and got them all correct. Writing style is easlily detectable. Has this site become a pop star site eg Prince, P Diddy and Kanye West as all those have changed names too. Perhaps I should change my name to "Riddles Pacific of the Britannia Class 70047 unnamed with handrail smoke deflectors and large dome" 😆. No I am not back in any way but thanks for the kind remarks.

Lastly how many name changes have been made to posters on this forum, as I see some new names with the same writing pattern as older contributors under other names????

• Freightliner has become Troublesome Truck.
  • Son of Triangman has become Margate-Richmond.

There is at least one other recent change, but I can't remember who off hand.

Useful information, Chris. I had been wondering why Margate-Richmond had so many posts but I had only read the last ones recently. At first glance (my eyesight not improving !) I had thought M-R was a lady, Margaret Richmond. 😆 Sorry about that, S.o.T and also that you are not opening your new venture until later, possibly.  You can understand why I am not interested in N Scale !

In my town, up until a month or so ago there was a Hornby stockist. Now the nearest one is an hours drive depending on traffic.

Not enough product sold, so they reduced stock on hand and moved it to a smaller space. Eventually they just stopped and used the shelf space for more in demand toys.

I think you've pretty much described what's happening to most independent small businesses.

Yes it's a shame that many well established small business have had to go into liquidation due to the reasons described. I for one am saddened by yet another area of aspect of the British high street that's come off worse since the arrival of online shopping.

However, this is a sign of the times and I don't think that this will be the end of it.

How high any site will appear in the Google rankings will depend on how specific the search term is. Search for 'Model Railways' and you can be pretty much guaranteed no, search for something more specific like the name of the shop and as if by magic there it is.

Of course there is a guaranteed way of getting your site on the first page of the Google search results, pay them, It’s called marketing.

How high any site will appear in the Google rankings will depend on how specific the search term is. Search for 'Model Railways' and you can be pretty much guaranteed no, search for something more specific like the name of the shop and as if by magic there it is.

Of course there is a guaranteed way of getting your site on the first page of the Google search results, pay them, It’s called marketing.

I must admit the demise of the local model has meant the rise of the big sellers who can hold so much more stock and variety than any local model shop could ever dream of. A successful model shop nowadays has the world as its market place not just one town. This has allowed them to branch out, commission their own models that would never have been feasible 30 years ago. Any time I contemplate making a trip of say 20 or 30 miles to a model shop just to see what they have I often come back disappointed at the relatively small range of items available. I usually come home empty handed and just go online. More often than not when out shopping, I end up buying more on the Internet with the mobile phone waiting on the wife than I do in the shops we are visiting.

Of course the most annoying thing about small local models shops is when you do decide to buy something having to stand of 10 minutes waiting to be served while somebody takes up the shop owners time with the much lamented 'free advice'. This includes a discussion as to which side of a coach the air tank was actually located on, before finally purchasing their £1.50 bag of scatter

Another problem not mentioned is that the big model supermarket discounters have been getting first pickings on new models so the small shop gets left out.  Which means customers going to the big model supermarkets.

Then of course the manufacturers themselves who sell direct to the public via their websites, this cuts the small shops out of the equation. Another lost sale for the small shops.

SEO (search engine optimisation) is key to getting hits on your website these days.

I just tried typical search phrases on my various data and got on average 5 good hits out of 9 on the first page of Google, some of which were to other commercial sites I am subscribed with like linked-in, etc who obviously do their own optimisation.

I also request reciprocal links on like minded websites to get further free publicity. I.e. I will wave your flag if you will wave mine...

It all works on the principle of if you can’t see me you won’t know I’m there.

Rob

Not all non-shop stall traders are bad, before I had the shop I used to do repairs and support from the stall. Everything was tested, serviced, and repaired (if needed) before it went on the stall to make sure it was the best it could be and any defects mentioned to the potential customer. I even had a test track at the back of the stall and people could see stuff run. They could contact me as well and visit me at home by appointment.

I know I am bit old fashioned but when spending typically about £200 on a loco I like to see it run before I buy and this is not possible with on line purchases. Thankfully I can at my local shop, KS models in Stevenage, but they are only open 3 days a week. (they sell at 10% off which means that the prices are similar when P&P is taken into account)

SRmike, lucky man, i have never had the chance to watch a loco run, prior to buying. Does mean, however, you are tied to what they stock. My latest MTH, locos, are not stocked in france, to my knowledge, and its a tad far to go to germany, to watch them run. At 75, i am also very old fashioned, and do ask a lot of questions, before buying. I do buy from 2 uk shops, from their on line sale, Janes of tooting, being one.