GM Prodigy Advance 2 vs Elite

Guest Chrissaf

Probably not......why do you ask?

The Advance 2 now supports functions up to F28 whereas the previous Advance it replaces only supported up to F19. So good for sound equipped locos. To the best of my knowledge of the GM system, it can do everything the Elite can do in terms of the basics.

• 3 months later...

Hi melodymaker,

Iv’e just picked up on your post and as a user of the  gaugemaster prodigy can appreciate your question, more so probably than those who have not used it much..As Chris says it can do everything the Elite can do in terms of the basics. 

But I do have one or two niggles with it , firstly when running two locos at the same time, with the prodigy you have to press the recall button and scroll through the screen to find the other locos no. to pick it up , or re type the locos no. then press the enter button. And a lot can happen in those few seconds with your eyes off the track ... Which brings me to another niggle ... pressing the stop button with the prodigy doesn’t kill all power to the track and bring everything to a stop it just stops the last loco you had control of , which is not very helpful if it’s the other loco that you wanted to stop.

But like all systems some thing will give you a “niggle “  . I like the Elites twin control knobs which allows you to move effortlessly from one loco to the other when controlling two at the same time without taking your eyes from the track ... and when you press the stop button everything stops .... 

So for me I would go for the elite as my home layout. I can see the advantages of the prodigy if being used within a club layout , but my own preference after using both is the Elite ... 

All the best Ray .... and a Happy New year to you .

To be pedantic the query was posed just a shade over 3 months ago.

I thought Ivory's posts was very helpful for anyone, not just the OP, looking for similar advice in that it highlighted two additional areas of difference in operational functionality between the two units.

R-

Agreed...a very useful informative addition to the thread even if the OP doesn't see it. Hence why I added my "sadly" addition to my earlier comment.

I'll add my four pennyworth. I have the GM prodigy but the previous model. I have never used a Hornby controller. Like Ivory I do agree that having to use the recall button to control another loco is a bit of a problem and although in theory you can control 12 locos at a time it would take R2D2's brain to do it. However they do have an interface lead that allows you to control two locos at once via a laptop plus the one on the controller. This makes things easier. Do I like my prodigy, yes I do. GM also have an excellent service department and I am lucky enough to live only 35 minutes from their outlet. Having said that my unit has only been back once in 12 years. 

Thank you for pointing out some of the differences in the two controllers Ivory, very helpful indeed.  

Though i'm only going DCC when my Sommerset Belle Digital train set arrives today hopfully. If every thing pans out well with DCC, the Hornby Select controller could find it's self close to the top of the upgrade list.

Thank you Ivory.

Hi Mac-70,

Welcome to the forum, as a comparative newcomer to this forum myself I have found the help and expertise of these guys to be second to none....The venture into dcc is awesome,and I can remember my first ”dabble “ a number of years ago and the feeling of controlling a loco itself and not track power  left me with a silly grin on my face ... you will face ups and downs along the way ...but there’s always an answer to your queries and these guys will gladly share it with you ... enjoy your journey 

Ivory 

Hi, Mac 

nothing wrong with doing that, keeping your older locos as DC helps to retain their value, n the unlikely event you would want to sell them, later -

BUT -

do NOT make the mistake of putting a dc loco onto a DCC track, you will fry the motor in seconds. Yes, the 'book' says you can, but practical experience says don't!

You can put a DCC loco onto a dc track providing the decoder hasn't been told (by a CV change) to ignore dc signals, but if it has any, the sounds won't work, usually.

Yep looking forward to the aventure of DCC ;). Though i think my oldest trains will remain on DC.

In which case note the following.

Any part of the layout that will be designated as DCC working must be totally isolated from the DC part of the layout. There must never ever be any electrical connection between the two systems.

Secondly, if you re-use your existing DC analogue track power clips on the DCC part of the layout, you must either remove the suppression capacitors inside the clips or replace the clips completely with the DCC versions of the clips.

Ericm0hff and Chrissaf, sorry for not responding sooner my posts are limited. Been looking into DCC for awhile now, and know not too mix them. The two tracks will be in two different locations. Thanks for the warning any way.

And your right Ericm0hff it would be very unlikely that i would sell them, there would be better odds of finding hens teeth. ;)

• 4 months later...

I don't think the Select is NMRA compliant.

Neither are a lot of other controllers. Many manufacturers just don’t bother getting their kit tested by NMRA.

One reason Select is non compliant is ringing of the DCC signal in no load situations. Put a couple of locos on track and it damps the ringing, more load less ringing.

Another reason from memory is the Select does not have a dedicated Programming output.

Archived