Sovereign and signature collections.

Big big train

I'm spineless and fall for this marketing stuff sometimes!  I just pre-ordered the Station Pilot pack from Model Rail Direct.  I priced it out, and with VAT subtracted (I'm in the US) it's cheaper getting this pack than separately.

Once I get it, I'll let everyone know how it is!

I think we should applaud Hornby for waking up and finally helping smaller shops again. Being exclusive to smaller shops is a good thing. I see these items appealing to the box collector or beginners family wanting to buy that first trainset rather than people on a budget. These should sell although nothing is for granted in these v.tough economic times.

Well done Hornby!

I totally agree with you M-R. It really does seem that none of these Sovereign Train Packs and SignatureTrain Sets are for the model shops listed only and they really do not appear to be purchasable from Hornby themselves.

Found this on the page about these range's which confirms Hornby are not selling them and are for these smaller Hornby stockists, only:

Exclusively Available Through Listed Hornby Stockists

Working closely with our model railway retailer network, we have compiled a series of train sets and packs for the modeller who wants that something extra.

Please note that these exclusive packs are not available for sale through our website or Visitor Centre locations.

GNR-Gordon-4

• 2 months later...

Hiya  😀

Yesterday I bought the Hornbys new Sovereign Loco Pack "The Station Pilot" - R3789 but you can only buy it from Model Shops like I did & not from Hornby's Web site. I think why they are doing this is to help the little shops to survive may be. What I found interesting is that on this Web site, "The Station Pilot" is advertise as @ £108.49 but @ my Loco Model shop - he only charged me only £98.00!!! So a bit of a saving there!!! 😀 It is a good little runner with spring buffers on the Loco but not on the Wagons

& Yes I did do a review on my Y.T. Channel for those who want to watch it (Jimyjames73) - I might even do it as a Premier.

I am also wanting to buy a set from the Signature Range - but they are more expensive b/c they also not only a Loco & wagons or Carriages but with Track, a double controller &  R8156 - Track Plans Book which is advertised from £312.99 to £389.99 - I might get the East Lincs Special - but that will be for next month or so!!!

Why I am doing this - I just don't know & I haven't really got the space!!! - Oh well  🤔 😉

• 7 months later...

I received an email this morning for the latest launch of Signature and Sovereign Collections, and just to quote the website "...for the discerning enthusiast..." and "...locomotive together with the relevant rolling stock."

"Last of the Private Owners" features a BR late crest J15 (so mid 50s-early 60s) together with relevant rolling stock.  Err, well no.  There weren't many private owner open wagons around by then, and there certainly weren't any BR Railfreight liveried brake vans (1980s).  It just doesn't make any sense to me.  I suppose we should be pleased that at least it includes a brake van, even if the livery is completely wrong.

"Mixed Duties" features a BR late crest 42XX (ex GWR) 2-8-0 with, among others, an OTA timber wagon (Mid 1980s??) and PCA wagon (not sure when these came into use, but I doubt it was before the 1970s).  And no brake van.

To be fair, plenty of the other packs do include relevant rolling stock, but why such obvious mistakes with these two sets?  I know many people don't worry about what locos pull what wagons, and that's fine by me, but if you specifically market something for the discerning modeller including relevant rolling stock, it ought to be just that.  It's not as if Hornby don't make appropriate wagons.

Archived