Nellie

Maunsell Green

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Me, a trouble maker??? Never!!

After all, I ignored the item on the Dean goods thread about Great Bear. If you are GW inclined you might like it, but it's about as likely as me getting all the numbers in the lottery, this weekend.

Go on,

admit it. You think Nellie is wonderful. I won't tell your wife!!

The worst thing about Nellie was those dreadful loose wheel tyres. It was not every model, but those with 'see-through' spokes usually shed a tyre and it was the very dickens to get them to fit again. I must have replaced all the wheels on my half dozen

over the years.

That said, I still buy them if I see them being offered for less than £12.

You're obviously putty in between the buffers of a 'Nellie'

What with your love of Nellie and adoration of Southern electrics several people are beginning to wonder about you!! What happened to what was the voice of reasonable thinking on here?

• 2 weeks later...

Of course

it went on for ever, just like the loco itself. ;)
Come on Hornby, time for a 50th Anniversary special, 3 loco presentation set of nellie, polly and connie, complete with X04s of course.

Any excellent idea good sir an anniversary 3 loco set. If they did bring back the good old X.04 could we have the nice smooth five pole version they did for a while in the early 1970's, it was a good powerful quiet motor with the five pole armature.

Never

had any trouble with wheel tyres on the wheels on these locos but I know they were a problem on some of the ealry see through wheel batch.(Early Nellie's had solid cast wheels, later ones had proper wheels with daylight between spokes). The loco was a decent

little tank loco and I have seen an example with caledonian star adornment around the smokebox handle, was Tri-ang contemplating a caleydonian version, who knows?

It would make a nice Railroad range model.

Kept maintained and lubricated the Tri-ang

R.355 will run forever, every steam yard should have one.

It went on for ever - mainly fuelled by WTD saying what rubbish it was, and the XO4 motor and SOT saying the opposite!! And now you've started. Poor old WTD is outnumbered!!(Shouldn't have joined if he can't take a joke!!)

I assume you won't be entering the competition??

Aaaaugh! Aaaugh! Augh! Ohh! Don't say that word.
What word?
I cannot tell, suffice to say is one of the words we cannot hear.
How can we not say the

word if you don't tell us what IT is?
Aaaaugh! You said IT again!
What, 'is'?
Agh! No, not 'is'. ... etc

Hi WTD

You are right about Nellie.

Look at what's happened. Over the last few months SOT has shown symptoms of Severe Instability with his obsesions about Nellie and that motor, and now, poor old Ozexpatriate has gone totally round the bend

as well.

I think the world should be warned!!!!!!!!!

We shall say 'Nelly' again to you if you do not appease us.
Well, what is it you want?
[i]We want... a reproduction of an ancient Triang 0-4-0T, first produced 50 years ago, which appears to be only loosely based on a LSWR C14, with an X04

motor that's no longer in production![/i] [dramatic chord]
A what?
Nelly! Nelly! Nelly! Nelly!
Ow! Oh!
One that looks nice.
Of course.
And not too expensive.
Yes.

:) Long ago since I'm afraid!

Perhaps if I left in the references to the speakers: 'Arthur' and The Knights who say "Ni" (or is

it "Nelly"), the reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail would have been clearer.

It would not have helped. I can't stand either Monty Python or The Goons. Far too sensible for me!!

That's probably why WTD and I get on so well!

Archived