Sleeping car trains

81F

I have two Hornby Mk1 Sleeping cars in blue/grey livery with Chrome printed windows dating from the 1970s. Looking closely at them I think they were very good models for their day and would pass muster next to my Lima 47, 37 and Western (all in blue).

My question is, given that I run standard formations of five coaches (my storage loops were designed on that basis) what other coaches should I get to make up a convincing train. Given the level of detail (or lack of it) I think I am probably limited to other models made by Hornby or Triang in the 1970s or early 80s such as the Mk2 brake, Mk2 all second open, Mk1 CK, buffet or BSK or possibly another sleeper. As I only have room for 3 more coaches in the train (possibly 4 at a push) which coaches should I get to have a passable representation of a sleeping car train.

Hi 81F

If you are limited to five coaches I would have two sleepers preferably one first, one second a buffet or similar a brake second and if there is such a thing a brake first failing that two composite brakes.

That should do it for an overnight train if you can stretch it to six coaches I would change one of the brake coaches to a full brake and add a composite coach.

The sleepers should be as close to the front of the train as possible less banging and crashing to disturb the passengers sleep.

That's my thoughts.

regards John

I'd agree. The sleeper (SLSTP Sleeoper Second with Pantry) is virtually identical to the (SLE Sleeper either class) (first class have one bunk per compartment second class have two, one up and one down, staff can alter it depending upon the number of passengers)  The miniature buffet (RMB) which was contemporary with the sleepers made by Triang / Hornby is ideal as a match. Some sleeping car trains did not accept seating passengers so the RMB could be adequate, so you could have three sleepers, one Buffet and a Full brake (BG).

The real trains were considerably longer,  In Autumn 1965 the 1 am Kings Cross to Newcastle 'Tynesider' consisted of the following -

Locomotive

BG and SLF (not Monday) Kings Cross to Edinburgh

BG (Monday only) Kings Cross to Newcastle

SLSTP, SLC (Every Weekday) Kings Cross to Newcastle

SLF (Monday only) Kings Cross to Newcastle

SLF, SLF (Saturdays excepted) Kings Cross to Newcastle

SLF, SLF (Monday only) Kings Cross to Newcastle

BG (Every Weekday) Kings Cross to Newcastle

BG, SLF, SLC (Every Weekday) Kings Cross to Darlington

BZ (Every Weekday) Kings Cross to Midlesbrough detached at Darlington

Carriage codes

BG -- Bogie Full Brake

BZ - Six Wheel Full Brake

SLF - First Sleeper

SLSTP - Second Sleeper with Pantry

SLC - Composite Sleeper

The 'Tynesider' going up -

22:45 (SX) Newcastle to Kings Cross,

BG

SLF (MO), SLF (TO)

2 x SLF

SLF (FX)

SLF (ThFX)

2 x SLC, BG

CCT (as required)

Some others during same period ,

the 20:30 'Aberdonian'   (SX) 23:55 from Edinburgh to Kings Cross formed -

BG, 5 x SLF, 2 x SLC, 2 x SLSTP, BG

the 'Night Scotsman' 23:30 (SX)  Edinburgh to Kings Cross

BG, 7 x SLF, 3 x SLSTP, BG

23:30 (EWD) Edinburgh to Kings Cross

BG, from Montrose

BCK, SLSTP , SLF (from Fort William)

2 x SLF(SO) from Edinburgh

SLF, SLSTP, 3 x SK, 1 x CK, BG, 2 x CCT (loaded with motor cars)  from Edinburgh

22:30 Newcastle to Kings Cross (via West Hartlepool)

BG,

SLF (SX)

SLF, SLSTP, 2 x SK, ,

BSK (FSO)

BG

Hi 81F

In the October 2016 issue of the Hornby Magazine there was a large item on sleeper trains showing 25 recorded formations using available RTR items

There is a recorded 4 coach formation on Southern rails in BR Blue and Grey, BR Blue Class 33/1, BR MK1 BSK, FK, SLSTP, SLSTP.  

Thanks All,

I think I might streatch to Buz's a six car formation as I already have a BSK and a CK. that leaves me a BG to get and possibly the Buffet, but I could always borrow one from another set. By the way did Hornby ever make the MK 1 BG, BSK and CK with chrome window frames.

I have vauge memories that they migh from the 1975 catelogue but I could be getting confused with the Mk2s

Archived