800 Running Lights not working on DCC

Guest Chrissaf

Have you sent an F0 command from your Select controller to turn the lights on?

I take it that it does have a fitted decoder.

What decoder is fitted in it?

Good morning, My new GWR Class 800 Arrived yesterday and it is beautiful but the directional lights are' no tworking. Have I got to do something  clever to get them working? I am running the train with  a DCC Select controller. Help!

Have you sent an F0 command from your Select controller to turn the lights on?

I take it that it does have a fitted decoder.

What decoder is fitted in it?

Sorry I have no idea what decoder has been fitted. It's just the normal DCC Selectwhich came with a Mixed Freight set. I assume it has a fitted decoder!

What do you mean by a F0 command?

Sorry to be so thick.

Thank you all foryour help

As far as I know, the only Class 800's that Hornby sell are 'DCC Ready' models. DCC Ready models mean that they have a socket inside them fitted with a 'blanking plate / plug' that can be removed to allow a DCC Decoder to be fitted to convert it to DCC control. The decoders GO IN THE LOCO not in the Select controller.

A 'DCC Ready' model is in essence a DC Analogue loco, until such time as a DCC Decoder is fitted to it.

Now the Select controller, can technically control a DC Analogue loco. But this practice is not recommended (even by Hornby themselves - see manual extract below). You risk serious damage to your very expensive Class 800 loco running it on your DCC track WITHOUT first fitting a decoder. Many controller manufacturers are dropping this analogue support feature from their new controller products for this very reason.

/media/tinymce_upload/fb316e1bd9c95fe761c9667396c88ec6.jpg

Once a DCC Decoder is fitted, then all the DCC features become available to you, like using DCC function commands, such as F0 for lights.

If you are going to continue using your Select controller, then I urge you most emphatically to have ALL your locos fitted with DCC Decoders. The Mixed Freight locos that came with the Select in a set, will already have decoders fitted.

Depending upon where you purchased your Class 800 from, many retailers give priced options for you to purchase the loco with them pre-fitting a decoder before they ship it to you. When you purchased the Class 800 did you order a pre-fitted DCC decoder version of it.

If your Class 800 is indeed only 'DCC Ready' and does not have a decoder fitted, then I would expect it to make a loud buzzing sound when placed on the track and stationary. This buzzing will be heating up the motor coils and potentially burning them out if left stationary too long.

If you did order a DCC Decoder pre-fitted version of the Class 800 from your supplier. Then sending a F0 command from the Select controller to turn the lights on is covered in the Select manual (1.5 version) on Page 17.

Note: Please, please please.......can you avoid using the 'white arrow in blue button'. It makes it very difficult to see what new text you have added when it is all embedded within the yellow quote box.

Can I humbly suggest that next time you do not use the blue button. This is not a 'Reply to this post' button. It is best if you write your reply in the 'Reply to this post' text box at the bottom of the page and click the green 'Reply' button.

Not having a go, using the blue button is something all relative newbies on the forum seem to do for some reason. I blame the forum SW developers for putting it there, just where a 'Reply' button is expected to be.

Are you in a position to confirm, whether you purchased the Class 800 as a 'DCC Ready' or as a 'DCC Fitted' (decoder pre-fitted by retailer) model.

PS - The reason for Rob's previous question above, is that the question is designed to try an ascertain whether a decoder is fitted or not. If you are using anything other than address zero, then it is likely to have a decoder fitted.

Archived