A4 Mallard DCC (was Ready now Fitted)

Trackandfield

Hello All - I purchased a second hand A4 Pacific yesterday and had a Basic Hornby DCC Chip (R8249) fitted in the shop at the time of purchase. It's actually the second model I bought yesterday in that the 4-6-2 wheel arrangement had me baffled. The 2 trailing wheels on the first model were not flanged and didn't sit on the track, i.e. they were floating by about an eighth of an inch. The first model didn't run on my track, but after swapping it the 2nd model's wheels are exactly the same, although they did supply a second set of rear wheels with flanges. The stockist suggested it was something to do with being able to round first radius curves, but I'm not convinced. Any help with this would be appreciated - but - a secondary issue is that whilst the loco will move (using address 10) it will not play sounds. I can switch functions On and Off, but physically the sounds are not heard #frustrating. The software version on the Select is 15. Many thanks - Paul

I have a Hornby A4 Pacific model.

The second set of flanged wheels included with the model are just meant to be used if you are statically displaying the model in a case. The flangeless wheels are meant to float above the rails, it is the way it is designed. It is a compromise arrangement because they are not on a pivoted bogie. If the flanged wheels were to be fitted, then the loco WILL derail on curves.

Your post is a little confusing. In the first part you say that you had a R8249 decoder fitted in the shop at the time of purchase. You then go on to talk about 'sounds not playing'. The R8249 decoder is NOT a sound decoder, it is incapable of playing sounds. Hornby's current sound decoders are from their TTS (Twin Track Sound) range and retail for about £39 give or take a bit, plus fitting charge. Other brands of sound decoders are available which have more features and functionality but these retail nearer £100 plus fitting. A 'sound' decoder REPLACES a non sound decoder like the R8249. The sound decoder includes the motor control function in addition to the sound capability. Thereby making the R8249 decoder in your model redundant, which is just Hornby's very basic motor control decoder with directional lights (F0) and 2 x Aux on/off functions (F1 & F2). Your controller will be able to switch F0, F1 & F2, but this won't do anything unless the decoder is wired to something that these functions can control. Like lights for example. Being a steamer, the A4 doesn't have any lights as standard. If a sound decoder like a TTS is fitted, then F1 will normally turn the sound 'on & off'. And then the other Fn numbers will play 'spot sounds' like a whistle for example. The available Fn functions are specific to each sound decoder and their function will be listed in the sound decoder instruction sheet that comes with it.

EDIT: The two posts above this one were published whilst I was typing mine. So I have only just seen them.

My question would be "Does the R8249 chip have sound capability" - if it does - and that's what the stockist supplied and fitted while I waited - then it should work !

Did you ask him to fit a sound decoder. He obviously didn’t demonstrate the  sounds for you.

Track and Field. Hi, this is a standard DCC decoder. It does not have sound.  Presume shop did not demonstrate. If you asked for sound, you will need to return to shop, and ask them to fit TTS sound one, which will be more expensive. John

Hello All - as a "newbie" I am restricted on how often I can post, hence the delay in replying - however a big thanks to the many who have taken the time to reply. I didn't realise that the DCC Chip I purchased wasn't sound equipped, but that has been rectified and a sound chip is on order. To the members who asked if I saw it running - the answer is Yes, but didn't hear any sounds, now I know why. If anyone has experience of fitting a TTS Sound Chip to an A4 and would like to add their tips and tricks, it will be appreciated. . . Paul

You haven't stated the A4 Mallard's R stock number. Knowing that would make it easier for members to answer your question regarding ease of fitting a TTS decoder.

However, in the absence of that information. Does the loco have four wires extending from under the cab area that terminate on a white four way plug that connects to a matching four way white socket on the tender.

If it does, then the TTS decoder will more than likely be an easy fit. The locos that have this four wire connection arrangement are usually not only DCC Ready, but DCC Sound Ready as well. If you open the tender, you should find the 8 pin decoder socket and a mounting where the speaker goes. The 8 pin socket will currently be equipped with the R8249 decoder that you got fitted at the shop.

If your A4 model does not have these interconnecting four wires, then tell us the model R number and await further advice.

Archived