Elite intermittent loss of DC power

BlightyExPat

I have an intermittent problem where my Elite goes completely dead - nothing displayed, no leds. This happens whether I am actually using it, or it's simply powered but not being used. The SLIGHTEST of movement of the Elite restores power to the unit.

On checking I strongly suspect the problem relates, not to the actual power supply, but to the DC input circuit of the Elite. 

A quick check reveals nothing obvious so I am guessing it could be a hairline pcb crack or dry joint, which is not always easy to locate and fix!

I realise this is probably not a particulary common fault, as I find nothing if I try a web search, but has anyone had a similar problem with their Elite?

The first thing I would have suspected from what you have said is the power input cable to the Elite having a fracture, or maybe the socket into which it plugs. Does the socket seem to be firmly mounted or loose?

But you’ve suggested maybe elsewhere at the power input to the Elite. What was your reason for that conclusion, it may help with finding the fault?

And no, I’m not aware of this having come up before. 

Just two weeks ago, "paul.b" had an Elite intermittent loss of power problem. It was proven to be an intermittent break in the cable wires about 4 inches back from the DC Coax plug on the output lead of the P9300 power supply, where it plugs into the Elite.

This is his thread:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/24886/?p=2

Start reading from the 2nd post up from the bottom of Page 2, then on to the next page in the thread for further information.

The main thing is that these are the kind of faults that should be easy to find and fix just by taking a logical approach to diagnostic fault finding. Physically manipulating parts and looking for made and broken connections as a result of said manipulation.

Just as an idea, get yourself a contra plug (female) and a plug of the same type that feeds the Elite (from memory I would say a 5.5 x 2.1 mm), wire it up straight through and connect a led with appropriate resistor in the middle. When the led flickers, you probably have a broken wire in the power supply lead.

R&B, Hornby 15 volt digital power supplies use a much bigger size than the more standard 5.5 x 2.1mm size. Hornby digital plugs are 6.3mm x 3.1mm (or 3.0mm). Although plugs are available (see the ones on Page 3 of the link I put in my first reply above). Suitable sockets are 'hens teeth'. I have spent many an hour trying to find a socket supplier without success.

These were about the only ones I could dig up on the www. Strangly enough, 6.3 x 3mm male plugs are easy to find, by the dozen. One would think that connectors to put them in should also be available. Convertors from 6.3 x 3 to the fairly standard 5.5 x 2.1 can also be found, in a "one way" direction. Maybe something can be found in an old broken laptop. There are universal laptop power supplies out there, that may come with a 6.3 mm plug

One would think that connectors to put them in should also be available.

I agree.

I have no current need for a 6.3mm socket at the present time. I too found the 5.5 x 2.1mm adaptors. It was more of a cerebral exercise I went through to find an inline socket supplier, because sometimes forum members ask questions about extending the power pack output lead when theirs is too short.

There was a fix Hornby once suggested for Select 1-amp PSU intermittency and that was to distort the jack plug to provide more friction twixt inner pin and outer sleeve of the socket. This was due to wear from frequent putting of the plug in and out, combined with tolerancing of the jack to socket.

At the time they said if anyone over squeezed things they could send both the PSU  and Select back to be fixed and Hornby would apply a measured squeeze to best match the PSU and that Select.

If it cannot be resolved by proving its a dodgy DC cable by use of a multi-meter to the jack, then it may be worth trying the squeeze method and if it fails approach Hornby for repair.

Rob

Apologies for not replying to eveyone sooner, but only recently found time to investigate further.

An intermittent fault is the worst of all possible faults, but I am fairly confident I have located the problem. I found a suspect solder joint on one of the contacts on an inductor at the power input.

No issues, since. I accidentally dropped tested the unit on the floor and it still works, no loss of power!

Thanks for everyone's contribution.

Good find.....power supply faults even if intermittent are probably the easiest type of electronic fault to find. With power faults the unit is either dead or alive as opposed to just functioning oddly.

Archived