Ford gte

Slumdog

I just bought the Ford Gte, great looking car but the handling compared to the Aston Martin Vantange GT3 is absolutely diabolical. My track running length is only 33 ft and my best lap with the Aston is nearly a second faster than the Ford, I am not sure if this is due to the fact that the Aston has a sidewinder motor and therefore both motor a magnet are further back but it’s handles so much better than the inline Ford, has anyone else noticed this or could I just have a defective one.

At the moment this has really put me off buying any inline models which is a shame since most of the new models are.

Are the tires are brand new and still shiny of the Ford GT GTE?  If they are, you will see much better handling if you run the rear tires over some fine grit emery cloth sandpaper. Apply about half throttle and then just barely lower the rear end on the sandpaper. Once finished, run the rear tires over the sticky side of some masking tape. When the tires are slightly trued up, you get way better traction.

The Ford has a vey high revving motor. It is sometimes called an FF motor and in the inline configuration.

I have read a few reviews and depending on the type of track you have it can behave very differently.

For example on NInco track it accelerates much faster than the standard Mabuchi/S-can cars

On Carrera track less so.

Body float (lossening the body screws) is important as well as to sand the tires as  Bri26 says. Google "sanding and truing tires" and there are lots of guides out there.

Also couble check that nothing is loose inside the car. The motor may have slipped out of its mounts ever so slightly.

I have one too... it has an extremely light chassis and body and, as explained above, a high revving FF motor. This makes acceleration quite fun, and at the same time brakng effects are weaker. I find it fun because it drives differently from my more conventionally configured cars which use larger Mabuchi motors in sidewinder or in-line configurations... Takng the steps mentioned above should bring the performance in line with the rest of the pack... or so I am told by enthusiasts who know much more about tuning than me... I like mine the way it came...

C

I have now got this lapping faster than the Aston. After my first session truing the tires it was a little better but still no where as consistent as the Aston but after a couple more sessions on the tyres made a huge difference may have also helped getting more used to the characteristics of the car. It is now a fun car to drive and definitely accelerates faster than the Aston. I have not spent much time truing the tyres on the Aston would be interesting how quick I can make that car. 

From my experience I would say for the Aston is an easier car out of the box to get decent consistent laps, the Ford is a little more challenging but with a little effort it’s a quick fun car, for me it was a little disappointing out of the box. I do now find myself wanting to use the Ford over the Aston.

I do like the GT cars so now the dilemma is which model to get next, Mercedes GT3, Porsche 911 RSR or the new Ford Daytona Prototype!

Just be careful not to true the tires too much since you can run into ground clearance issues. Ideally, you just want the entire outer surface of the tire to be lightly trued so it has a full contact patch with the track.

Out of the box, the tires are usually shiny with high and low spots that really limits the amount of tire that actually contacts the track. Pretty much any car can greatly benefit from a light truing of the tires.

Archived